New used tank! Vol. III

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
It was the playful disdain for the metric system. I have gotten much more of that than I'd like, playful or not, and this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.
You may remember the similar apparently playful metric disdain discussion we had on the xanthic red tail catfish thread. I was no fan of that either, I can't hyperlink it right now but I found it quite stressful and ended it quickly by getting serious. So perhaps seeing it from the same user didn't help either.

but you have some assemblage of clown loaches in a tank that seems on the small side for them when they eventually grow up.
I agree that it's on the small side for them as adults. The reason I have them in there is because they were purchased when I had a different viewpoint on fish tank size.
Certainly you remember the 6x the length and 1.5x the width rule of thumb I have so often mentioned. It fits the clown loach upper size perfectly, is the viewpoint I had when I bought the loaches, and was 'confirmed' as the way to go at the time by Redshark1's viewpoint that a tank the size I have would be sufficient for a few.

However, something you may or may not have seen is that I now believe a bit over 2x-5x as much space as that is needed as a starting point. Hence the reason I'm planning to upgrade, and if that fails they will in all likelihood be rehomed to anyone I feel has an appropriate size tank.

Thank you for the apology by the way. I can see that you intended no harm, and find it very polite that you will attempt to not do the issue.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
M MultipleTankSyndrome seriously you spam my thread with your unwanted, unqualified stocking advice, derail my entire ghetto DIY tank refurbishment flow and then have the gall to tell others how offended you are and what is and isn't to be said? What the hell are you kids smoking?!

I don't care about your input here. Everyone here knew how to responsibly keep fish before you arrived with your decimals and pushy liberal sensibilities. We don't follow your rules of thumb or your metric garbage. Get over yourself, man.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It was the playful disdain for the metric system. I have gotten much more of that than I'd like, playful or not, and this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back...I found it quite stressful and ended it quickly by getting serious. So perhaps seeing it from the same user didn't help either.
Hmmm...I was joking when I wondered out loud about that. You do realize that the metric system is not considered an actual recognized religion, right? If you find it "stressful" to read someone commenting on the metric system in a negative way, perhaps you should simply put my username on "ignore" for your own peace of mind.

I don't poke fun at a person's choices in religion or lack thereof, sexual orientation, politics (usually...), or other core beliefs that are fundamental to them. But...the metric system? Really???

The metric system was always touted to us when I was in school as the intelligent, convenient, "natural" way to operate. Maybe if we had grown up with it all along, that might be correct...but maybe not. The number of days in a year was, still is, and will continue to be 365, a decidedly un-metric number. All the other measurements we use, for time, distance, volume, temperature, etc. all had their basis in some day-to-day observation of the natural world made by our forebears, and they all made sense at the time they were adopted to those who adopted them.

The fact that some introspective navel-gazing "thinker" suddenly...and relatively recently...realized that we had ten fingers and toes, and that ten should therefore be The Standard...speaks more to a fascination with shaking the applecart and "improving" what already works than it does to any imagined superiority of metric thinking. If we were all cartoons and had eight fingers and toes, a base-eight system would seem just as logical...and would be just valid...and just as awkward if it attempted to dislodge and replace a centuries-old system that was already in place.

If you want to be a forward-thinker...be a forward-thinker. That means actually thinking and analyzing for yourself, not merely taking the ideas with which we are continually being force-fed like worms jammed down a baby bird's throat, and mindlessly repeating it.

I build aquariums that are 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. They hold 120 gallons. They're built that way largely because I buy plywood in sheets that measure 4 feet by 8 feet, and those dimensions translate nicely with little or no waste.

You then perform some awkward math and begin referring to those items that I created as being 121.9 cm long and 61 cm deep and wide. You call them 454.2 litre tanks.

Congrats. That really streamlines the terminology and the thinking.

Offended yet? Here's a news flash: there are people, right here on MFK, who are offended when simple, long-accepted, universally-recognized sets of dimensions and volumes are translated to unfamiliar and awkward digital gobbledy-gook which they must then re-translate back into a system in which they can think naturally. I can think of one such person without even trying hard.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
A bit lost for words, but I can see the meaning of what you said.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The build and the thread are back on track. We're nearly ready to go fish shopping.
20220817_062746.jpg
Not even a ~20 lb scrap of granite would sink my bogwood. I've put a few hours of work into grinding off the rot and boring out tunnels and caverns through it. Think the loaches will really like it if I can ever get it to sink. I should've siliconed it down lol.
20220817_062808.jpg

Last edited:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That's some sweet bogwood. Nice and thick, and ought to release loooots of tannins the loaches will appreciate.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That's some sweet bogwood. Nice and thick, and ought to release loooots of tannins the loaches will appreciate.
Yeah, I found MOAB (mother of all bogwood) several months ago and have been soaking it in various tanks. It leeched tannins HEAVILY at first but seems to be pretty clean now.

In other news I am a genius for finding the simplest way possible to sink it.
20220817_181236.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Just drill that sump already for me ? lol… ill drive out with an ice maker kit and drip emitters ??… progress is lookin good tho my friend. Dig that bkg color ??

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Just drill that sump already for me ? lol… ill drive out with an ice maker kit and drip emitters ??… progress is lookin good tho my friend. Dig that bkg color ??
Ha! I assure you man, drip is in the works ? i got big plans but thats all they are right now so i gotta stay quiet ? thanks for following along on this one. This tank could end up salty after too long. I thought that backing color was pretty close to what it looks like underwater.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ha! I assure you man, drip is in the works ? i got big plans but thats all they are right now so i gotta stay quiet ? thanks for following along on this one. This tank could end up salty after too long. I thought that backing color was pretty close to what it looks like underwater.
i do miss my salty days… have an “emergency” stash when i get the itch again ?. Saved an original euroreef skimmer and a 60 glass cube that needs the bottom replaced. Ur kinda project lol… have the replacement glass even…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store