Next Poly?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
So can I keep LJs with UJs once the UJs get bigger? I'll probably get a del, but would a retro or Ansgorii work too?

I assume I'll have to hold off on the Endlis for now.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
So can I keep LJs with UJs once the UJs get bigger? I'll probably get a del, but would a retro or Ansgorii work too?

I assume I'll have to hold off on the Endlis for now.
My ansorgii never bothered anyone in my tank, even a small 6" sen and a 5" golddust was ok with it, but its still a LJ that can fit a small poly in its mouth if it wanted too.
Ansorgii grows slow for a LJ so it might work it might not.
If you can seperate the small UJ you have and just leave the teug,lap and ornate with a endli or ansorgii you going to purchase it will work,
We are just advising you cause you have other polys that are small.

A retro and del should be fine in your tank, but still remember that they are predator fish, predatoer will always be a predator, once it decides to eat your small poly it will just like what happened to clm08k clm08k when her moke ate her del, so size difference still will play a role.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Your ornate and teug are going to out grow your sens. They could cause an issue later down the road also. What size is the tank? Ornates hit 18" easy could hit 24 and they get wide, won't have an issue taking out a sen. Same with the Teug just a little thinner. If the tank is big enough get the ljs just move the smaller not gonna get much bigger ones to a different tank. You'll be lucky if you get a sen past 10", they grow extremely slow after 5-6 inches. I just get tired of reading "my whatever ate my whoever it was only double it's size why'd it happen?" Sometimes it's completely innocent but other times everyone is screaming don't or you really shouldn't but they do and a couple days or weeks later you get the "can you believe it" "who saw that coming", At least 2 if not more saw it and warned you that's who.....
You may be fine but I like to err on the side of safe. But guess what I take chances too and when if it happens I'll be beating myself up going I knew better.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Your ornate and teug are going to out grow your sens. They could cause an issue later down the road also. What size is the tank? Ornates hit 18" easy could hit 24 and they get wide, won't have an issue taking out a sen. Same with the Teug just a little thinner. If the tank is big enough get the ljs just move the smaller not gonna get much bigger ones to a different tank. You'll be lucky if you get a sen past 10", they grow extremely slow after 5-6 inches. I just get tired of reading "my whatever ate my whoever it was only double it's size why'd it happen?" Sometimes it's completely innocent but other times everyone is screaming don't or you really shouldn't but they do and a couple days or weeks later you get the "can you believe it" "who saw that coming", At least 2 if not more saw it and warned you that's who.....
You may be fine but I like to err on the side of safe. But guess what I take chances too and when if it happens I'll be beating myself up going I knew better.
Would I have any problems keeping LJs with fully grown Sens? If so then I'll introduce them once my stock is fully grown.

Are there any slower growing LJ species? I've noticed my Koliba doesn't grow as fast as some of the other Polypterus. Are all Laps this way?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Would I have any problems keeping LJs with fully grown Sens? If so then I'll introduce them once my stock is fully grown.

Are there any slower growing LJ species? I've noticed my Koliba doesn't grow as fast as some of the other Polypterus. Are all Laps this way?
Yea that's what some of us are saying your ljs will outgrow your sens by leaps and bounds and probably eat them eventually. I'd move the sens to a different tank and get the ljs teug and ornate together.

Reactions: magpie

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Yea that's what some of us are saying your ljs will outgrow your sens by leaps and bounds and probably eat them eventually. I'd move the sens to a different tank and get the ljs teug and ornate together.
That's the problem... I don't have another tank to move the Sens to, and I don't think I'll be able to get another.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You koliba will grow slow cause its cb, most lj cb will grow fast till they hit 10"-12" then slows down,
The problem with cb sen is there is no guarantee that it will hit 10", some will stay 5"-8".
yup my regular sen is the oldest fish in the tank and it might be 6" albino is next oldest and hes a little longer and quite a bit thicker. The Dels came next about 4-6 months apart and the first was 3-4 months after the albino hes 10" and the other del is 9ish". Both dels were 3" or less when I got them. Teug and polli were last and I think I got them in april both less then 2.5". Polli is just a little smaller then the sen and the Teug is around 8". So pretty much everything grows bigger then the sens and gets there faster in the world of poly. Almost every thing in my tank is now thicker then the sen heck the ropes are catching up. Hes my weak link so to say in the tank I worry that the teug one day may try and eat him. He may have to go into another tank eventually. I'd rather do that though then see him get eaten. I form a bond with these fish I see them as pets where some see them as objects. They all have personalities individual onto themselves, while I see certain traits in the different types each fish in my tank has its own underlying personality. The only reason i'd get rid of one of them is because of aggression just like a dog or cat if you cant get along you gotta go. I realize unlike dog and cats these are undomesticated predators and you have the responsibility to remove or keep separate from them something that may be considered a prey item.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store