Not laying eggs but cleans the slate!!!

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
This pair of mine after two successful batches, now they are busy cleaning the slate since a month but never layed eggs yet. All water parameters are accurate and Ph is always between 7 and 7.5 and TDS is always between 140ppm and 200. And tank is situated near other breeding tanks and is free from any stress and even tried covering the whole tank for two weeks. What could be the reason.???

image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This pair of mine after two successful batches, now they are busy cleaning the slate since a month but never layed eggs yet. All water parameters are accurate and Ph is always between 7 and 7.5 and TDS is always between 140ppm and 200. And tank is situated near other breeding tanks and is free from any stress and even tried covering the whole tank for two weeks. What could be the reason.???

View attachment 1411853
Have you changed anything like food temperature of the water? I would personally give them more time. Also suggest starting a journal and log everything when the Angels spawn next time.

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
Temperature is always between 26 and 29 degree celsius with water change every 4the day. And food is frozen blood worms and artemia flakes.

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Personally I would let the tank dry out a lil bit, let the water table drop about 3-4in, and then give them a slightly cooler water change, along with bumping the temp up a few degrees afterwards. This helps simulate the start of the rainy season and tends to get allot of tropical fish in the mood. I used to feed a lil bit of live feeder guppies to em as well to help simulate the bounty of the breeding season. It also tends to help if they have another fish to bully a bit as this can help strengthen the bond between the 2 angels and gives them something to protect their breeding are from, granted it doesn't have to be a fish in the same tank as the pair it just has to be close enough to where they can see it clearly.

Reactions: Niyaz and tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Personally I would let the tank dry out a lil bit, let the water table drop about 3-4in, and then give them a slightly cooler water change, along with bumping the temp up a few degrees afterwards. This helps simulate the start of the rainy season and tends to get allot of tropical fish in the mood. I used to feed a lil bit of live feeder guppies to em as well to help simulate the bounty of the breeding season. It also tends to help if they have another fish to bully a bit as this can help strengthen the bond between the 2 angels and gives them something to protect their breeding are from, granted it doesn't have to be a fish in the same tank as the pair it just has to be close enough to where they can see it clearly.
Agree with this, for certain species, I would collect rain water, and after a few days without a water change, add the slightly lower pH, lower hardness water to the replacement water.
Fired up a number that way.

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
Agree with this, for certain species, I would collect rain water, and after a few days without a water change, add the slightly lower pH, lower hardness water to the replacement water.
Fired up a number that way.
Do u think RO water would work instead of rain water. I live in desert ( Dubai)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Do u think RO water would work instead of rain water. I live in desert ( Dubai)
RO water pH should be neutral, so if your pH is at 7 that won't drop the pH. You could buy some f the 'PH down" powder and make a bucket of slightly lower pH water using a test kit. I wouldn't drop it more than a few points in one shot to avoid shocking them.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Add some blackwater expert to simulate dry season. I put in a half dose with every 25% water change so your water is gradually getting darker and darker. Once they spawn, no need to add any more and let it thin out with the water changes.

Also some different fresh food like tubifex worms or chopped earthworms might do the trick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store