OB Peacock Cichlids breeding

thatfishguy0815

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2020
Hey guys!

This question has probably been asked a billion times but I'll ask again just because I can't find it anywhere online. What two subspecies of African cichlids breed to create OB or RB peacocks? I can take the wild card guess and assume you take a yellow one and breed it with a blue one or orange and blue or red and blue and so forth but which ones have the best richest color? Can anyone upload photos of their OB or OB fry to add to the discussion? Also, can it be done in a 55G with just one pair of blue and Orange/Red/Yellow cichlid? Let me know!! Thank you!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys!

This question has probably been asked a billion times but I'll ask again just because I can't find it anywhere online. What two subspecies of African cichlids breed to create OB or RB peacocks? I can take the wild card guess and assume you take a yellow one and breed it with a blue one or orange and blue or red and blue and so forth but which ones have the best richest color? Can anyone upload photos of their OB or OB fry to add to the discussion? Also, can it be done in a 55G with just one pair of blue and Orange/Red/Yellow cichlid? Let me know!! Thank you!
Welcome aboard
Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

thatfishguy0815

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2020
I "think" the original genetic formula was an unknown variety Aulonocara & a female OB Zebra Mbuna. Here's a pic of a male OB Peacock that I kept for several years.
View attachment 1410569
That fish is AWSOME and exactly what I would be looking for. Do you know of any good reputable places I can purchase fry or juveniles? I would like to be able to grow them out and then breed them. I understand I might get all males in the process or all females but I was thinking about getting around 7 and letting them grow out in my 55 until I am able to sex them in which case I would keep the dominant males and maximum of 2-3 females and give the rest to the local aquarium. I live in the bay area in California.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I buy all my fish locally, Oklahoma. A lot of MFK members buy on line. I bet one will chime in and steer you in the right direction.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have purchased some fish from Wet Spot, Dave’s rare and Live Fish Direct. I have had positive experiences and minimal casualties from all three.

quick search shows live fish direct has multiple purchase options for OBs

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
Snake River Cichlids have the best OBs. You should check out their website and Facebook page.
Second snake river for the OB. 7 would be excessive unless you only want OB. They breed fast and very younge compared to other peacocks. With 3 females and one make youl have all the fry you could need. I also strip and tumble the eggs after a week. It will keep the females healthier and its nice to watch the progress of the eggs.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Itsroger

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2020
Second snake river for the OB. 7 would be excessive unless you only want OB. They breed fast and very younge compared to other peacocks. With 3 females and one make youl have all the fry you could need. I also strip and tumble the eggs after a week. It will keep the females healthier and its nice to watch the progress of the eggs.
If you're buying unsexed fry, you'll want the extra to pick your best male and the females to raise your young from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store