Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Knife sharpening?!?! Enlighten us.
I sharpen them on a whetstone, which essentially grinds away material to establish a fresh, sharp edge on the knife. Over time this edge is worn away and it gets blunter. I do this for kitchen knives, faster and easier to work with. There are 3 ways to sharpen knives:
  1. Honing - Realigns any warps on the blade, but doesn't remove any material. Helps maintain an edge but doesn't make a blunt knife sharp. Usually done with a ceramic or steel rod
  2. Material removal - Usually done with a whetstone or grinding wheel, this removes steel and establishes a new edge at the desired angle and is the best way to sharpen a dull knife. I also fix knives with damaged edges this way
  3. Stropping - Done with leather, this removes any slight folds on the edge to get the last bit of sharpness, barbers do this to keep their razors sharp.
Summary: Most cheap sharpeners are atrocious. Nothing beats whetstones.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I sharpen them on a whetstone, which essentially grinds away material to establish a fresh, sharp edge on the knife. Over time this edge is worn away and it gets blunter. I do this for kitchen knives, faster and easier to work with. There are 3 ways to sharpen knives:
  1. Honing - Realigns any warps on the blade, but doesn't remove any material. Helps maintain an edge but doesn't make a blunt knife sharp. Usually done with a ceramic or steel rod
  2. Material removal - Usually done with a whetstone or grinding wheel, this removes steel and establishes a new edge at the desired angle and is the best way to sharpen a dull knife. I also fix knives with damaged edges this way
  3. Stropping - Done with leather, this removes any slight folds on the edge to get the last bit of sharpness, barbers do this to keep their razors sharp.
Summary: Most cheap sharpeners are atrocious. Nothing beats whetstones.
I'm curious, and to be truthful a tad apprehensive regarding my next question. Are we talking cute little kitchen knives here that an old lady might want sharpening, or are we talking huge machetes that maybe a local guy from the bush might want sharpening? :WHOA:

If it's the latter, I could think of better ways to make a few rand.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm curious, and to be truthful a tad apprehensive regarding my next question. Are we talking cute little kitchen knives here that an old lady might want sharpening, or are we talking huge machetes that maybe a local guy from the bush might want sharpening? :WHOA:

If it's the latter, I could think of better ways to make a few rand.
I mostly do kitchen knives, machetes and axes are better off with a bench grinder. You never realise how blunt your knives are till you work with a sharp one. If you don't want to keep your knives sharp, get those little serrated ones

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Knife sharpening is a real art. I was never any good at it until I was about 60.
You must feel what you're doing, because you can't see it happen. It's very subtle.

At the final stages it's a delicate and exacting process.
Having specialized tools can help, but I just have a collection of old stones, a two sided diamond hone, and some leather and rubber.

I bought an overpriced set of Cutco knives about 20 years ago. Eventually all the steak knives vanished. It's a Mystery to me. One by one they vanished, going from 8 to 1 in the course of a decade maybe.

The rest are still holding up fine, in spite of the fact my wife puts them in the dishwasher.
They sharpen OK, and hold an edge, but there are knives that will take a better edge.

The worst for me was the Buck knife. It took me a long time to learn to sharpen it. The steel is just different. It feels different as it grinds.
I used it often to pierce metal oil cans in the 60's and 70's. Oil has come in plastic for 40 years now, and eventually I did sharpen it.

Reactions: Hendre

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well I just found out how to use the parking break on my car for the first time today.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well I just found out how to use the parking break on my car for the first time today.
Well done pal, and for your next lesson, do you know when you sit in the car? You have that round thing in front of you.......that is a steering wheel!

Tune in tomorrow for esoxes school of motoring :thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well done pal, and for your next lesson, do you know when you sit in the car? You have that round thing in front of you.......that is a steering wheel!

Tune in tomorrow for esoxes school of motoring :thumbsup:
Round thing in front of me? What are you talking about? I’m sitting on top of the car and there’s no round thing in front of me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store