Older Members

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
An alarmingly low amount of youngsters around now. I am very into the hobby with 100 gallons of tank and 100% of budget going to fishkeeping, but how many are there?

There's probably only a handful of us here, most people in my school are more interested in sports, hopeless pursuit of the other gender and rap music.... :(
I'm with you on on this one. I only know two people my age who are into fish and one of them is really a turtle guy. It is many things' fault, but how can fish compete with a screen? It's not just fish - it's cars, painting, fishing, woodworking, the only thing that seems to be on the rise is biking. :(

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Reactions: wednesday13

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
MFK is not the same. People with small tanks and small fish generally rule MFK now. Any one who dares post a pic of a JDM tank is mercilessly bashed. In the past, we'd ooh and aah over the pictures. You will never see a thread like this any more on MFK:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/west-coast-vs-east-coast-monster-tank.7692/
I've seen a fair few big builds in my short while here...

I'm with you on on this one. I only know two people my age who are into fish and one of them is really a turtle guy. It is many things' fault, but how can fish compete with a screen? It's not just fish - it's cars, painting, fishing, woodworking, the only thing that seems to be on the rise is biking. :(
We can thank social media for that

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Any one who dares post a pic of a JDM tank is mercilessly bashed. In the past, we'd ooh and aah over the pictures.
I never ooh'd or aah'd over pictures of JDM tanks, personally those types of set ups have never been my cup of tea. Thank god the members here don't all feel the same way about everything in this hobby, or this site really would be dead.

Reactions: kno4te

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I never ooh'd or aah'd over pictures of JDM tanks, personally those types of set ups have never been my cup of tea. Thank god the members here don't all feel the same way about everything in this hobby, or this site really would be dead.
Is JDM "Japanese domestic monster?" Apparently overstocked large tanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I believe and have faith it'll recover and more new members will come and old memebers will comeback.

Gotta keep chugging along.

Reactions: isde02 and J. H.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I think its a common misconception that this site is parallel to the hobby's size, when in reality, that's not the case. This is a small microcosm of the hobby as a whole. I can say with 100% confidence that the hobby is bigger than ever.

Reactions: mrrobxc

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Reactions: Chicxulub and J. H.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I took a couple year hiatus but came back. Not an original but pretty close. I generally lurk though, you could probably tell that by my post # over almost 10 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store