Older Members

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
FunWow! said:
I think more stop in but the fact you don't have to log in to view the threads in the site anymore make easy to be a ghost.
According to the Online Statistics there is anywhere from 8 to 13 times more ghosts or guests than members online. This afternoon, there were 126 members online (signed in) with 1,063 guests and 329 robots viewing the site.

Also, according to Online Statistics the most vistors the forum has had was earlier this year. 3,138 on February 13, 2017. Is that right? If so it must be from a growth in offline traffic.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/online/

A

AquaAlex1993

Happy to see my friend Liz Red Devil Red Devil , we have been besties since the early days of MFK... wonderful fun and fantastic fish lover.
AquaScape AquaScape has been here for years as well
StIcKy~RiCe StIcKy~RiCe I briefly remember, always thought his username was funny, he was a cool oddball fish keeper
ryansmith83 ryansmith83 THE CICHLID GUY! He is always fun to talk with about South American cichlids like uaru, severums, chocolates, festivums, etc. I love South Americans!
PATSFAN69 PATSFAN69 another friend of mine through the years, hopefully he makes a comeback to MFK.
freak78 freak78 , @Cichladdict, Hao Hao my Asian fish bro, although it has been YEARS since I've talked to him

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
MFK is not the same. People with small tanks and small fish generally rule MFK now. Any one who dares post a pic of a JDM tank is mercilessly bashed. In the past, we'd ooh and aah over the pictures. You will never see a thread like this any more on MFK:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/west-coast-vs-east-coast-monster-tank.7692/
He'll yea we need to bring back JDM tank setups again! I'm gonna start this week. Who has a few monster dats for sale to start?

Reactions: isde02 and kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
He'll yea we need to bring back JDM tank setups again! I'm gonna start this week. Who has a few monster dats for sale to start?
My jdm tank was my feeder minnow tank.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The site definitely changed after the server crash. It was down for a long time, especially considering "internet time" is far more accelerated than real time. A few weeks in internet time is like years. That much downtime would doom most websites.

But across the internet, forums are dying in general. People have shorter and shorter attention spans, so they resort to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Why write thoughtful posts about our hobbies when we can mention them in 140 characters or simply upload a photo for likes? It's sad, but it's happening everywhere, not just in the fish hobby.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The server crash started this problem. When the servers went, so too did the membership. I was still active at that time, and watching the traffic dwindle to nothing when we were having these problems was heartbreaking. The problem was caused by the old vBulletin software no longer being supported by the manufacturer, so we had a hard time ironing out our database issues to get the site worked out.

In the end, we had to migrate to different software: Xenforo. The problem is that the migration killed the old app: the way 80% of the member base accessed the site. XF is optimized for the mobile web, and was in every way a better UI than the old app, but members simply didn't want to use their browser for the site. I can't point fingers, I didn't want to, either.

At this point, we still had most of the member base. The members were loyal and willing to work with us, even if activity had dwindled.

The fact that we could not roll out a new app right away is what made people finally give up. After the Monster Energy battle, we just didn't have the resources to develop a new app from scratch, which quite frankly costs a buttload of money for a site this size.

It is what it is though. We've taken a huge hit, and we've been through some hard times. We're still here, though. I've been through hell, but for what it's worth, I am back now, too.

Let's rebuild this thing.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Chicxulub Chicxulub when was this outage? Trying to remember if this was somewhat recent. My forum use slowed down around 2005 and I think I became a member in like 2008 because I was part of a competitor forum before then. Then came my hiatus for several years until late 2011 where I started visiting the forum daily again.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Chicxulub Chicxulub when was this outage? Trying to remember if this was somewhat recent. My forum use slowed down around 2005 and I think I became a member in like 2008 because I was part of a competitor forum before then. Then came my hiatus for several years until late 2011 where I started visiting the forum daily again.
The first half of 2015. The server would crap out for a day or two at a time every few days.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hmm I remember troubles with site but don't remember it being that bad. I never used the prior app, just stuck to a PC.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store