Ordering New 440/480 any advice?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Looks like American Aquarium’s or Fish Tanks Direct.

I think American Aquarium’s uses thicker acrylic vs fish tank direct.

Hence the 440/480 difference...

8’x4’x2’

Black background vs clear, I use that roll background on other tanks, if I keep it clear maybe more versatility down the line.

6’ sump / gonna buy stand black

Types of overflow placement?

Kind of looking for do’s and don’ts when ordering tank.... or things to add during building process...

No stock list yet, only RTC or 2 P bass....

Planted probably, 600#’s of plant substrate?

Any 2 cents are welcome....

Cheers!

Consider external overflow boxes. FTD does a beautiful black lamination if you decide on black.

NEVER accept and sign for the tank without inspecting it first. The truckers will be in a big hurry to leave, but so what. In spite of being instructed to inspect the tank by Midwest Custom Aquariums, we did not. Three months later when we were ready to set the tank up, we discovered a crack in the acrylic floor. Thinking back, one of the pallets the tank had been on was damaged. Pretty easy for a tine from a forklift to go where it shouldn't go. We did learn our lesson, though. When our big tank arrived, we completely took apart the crate to inspect the tank and then crated it again (it had to be stored until we were ready for it) Trucker wasn't happy.
1568558350817.png

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Consider external overflow boxes. FTD does a beautiful black lamination if you decide on black.

NEVER accept and sign for the tank without inspecting it first. The truckers will be in a big hurry to leave, but so what. In spite of being instructed to inspect the tank by Midwest Custom Aquariums, we did not. Three months later when we were ready to set the tank up, we discovered a crack in the acrylic floor. Thinking back, one of the pallets the tank had been on was damaged. Pretty easy for a tine from a forklift to go where it shouldn't go. We did learn our lesson, though. When our big tank arrived, we completely took apart the crate to inspect the tank and then crated it again (it had to be stored until we were ready for it) Trucker wasn't happy.
View attachment 1388262

External overflow boxes, I’ll research that...

I’ve never ordered one of these before, so super helpful, thanks!

Reactions: Matteus

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
External overflow boxes, I’ll research that...

I’ve never ordered one of these before, so super helpful, thanks!
Wait external box vs internal?

I’ve had wet drys with external overflows, is this the same? Benefits?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
More room in the tank. They can be on the back or on the sides of the tank. Doviiman had external overflow boxes built on the sides of his 822 gallon tank (he enclosed his tank).

Mine were placed on the back of my tank.
1568606724501.png

BTW, his tank and my tank were from FTD.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store