Oscar, Jd, help!

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
Whenever you add a new cichlid to a tank where another cichlid has established territory, the new guy will be at the short end of the stick, unless it realizes its strength.
So if you moved the oscar ro the JD tank, this is a normal reaction by the JD, to defend its territory.
If at some point you move them both to a new larger tank at the same time, then because no territorial lines have been already been established, it may work.
If you put one in a significantly earlier time than the other, the same problem may occur.
All cichlids set up invisible (to humans) territorial lines, that are generally respected if they both can work out a territory in a new space, at the same time.
Need help, moved oscar to a 125 and he’s not eating and his fin looks to be deteriorating. I️ have left him alone for 2 days thinking he was acting weird cause of the new tank but notice the fin messed up. He’s now upside down heavily breathing. Help!!

86FD5616-025E-4319-A671-6003FBE3FAEB.jpeg

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
Whenever you add a new cichlid to a tank where another cichlid has established territory, the new guy will be at the short end of the stick, unless it realizes its strength.
So if you moved the oscar ro the JD tank, this is a normal reaction by the JD, to defend its territory.
If at some point you move them both to a new larger tank at the same time, then because no territorial lines have been already been established, it may work.
If you put one in a significantly earlier time than the other, the same problem may occur.
All cichlids set up invisible (to humans) territorial lines, that are generally respected if they both can work out a territory in a new space, at the same time.
Need help, moved oscar to a 125 and he’s not eating and his fin looks to be deteriorating. I️ have left him alone for 2 days thinking he was acting weird cause of the new tank but notice the fin messed up. He’s now upside down heavily breathing. Help!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would also ask the same question posed by Chockful O Phail.
Another thing is, outward injuries are not the only cause for death is fish, sometimes all it takes is stress being intimidated by a dominant alpha individual will do a large fish in, in a tank where there is no escape (most aquariums are too small to provide enough room ro cape). In nature an alpha JD will usually defend an area of 4ft x 4ft x 4ft, roughly 250+ gallons against any other cichlid.
I also don't believe in most cases, that combining S American cichlids with Central Americans is a good idea. Central Americans have a much more ratcheted up sense of aggression than most S Americans, so a JD, or any Central or North American cichlid half the size of an oscar is often times much tougher than the oscar.
Note the area at 1:12 minute mark the large area the male JD is defending.
Cristalino

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
Was the new tank fully cycled? Try moving him back but it looks to be too late

Well he passed by this morning.. but I️ have a new question. Any ideas on how often for water changes on a 125 gal with 2 about 1 inch oscars?

And idk the tank was sitting for about 12 hours. And used cycled media from my sump as well as the same filters from his previous tank.

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
I would also ask the same question posed by Chockful O Phail.
Another thing is, outward injuries are not the only cause for death is fish, sometimes all it takes is stress being intimidated by a dominant alpha individual will do a large fish in, in a tank where there is no escape (most aquariums are too small to provide enough room ro cape). In nature an alpha JD will usually defend an area of 4ft x 4ft x 4ft, roughly 250+ gallons against any other cichlid.
I also don't believe in most cases, that combining S American cichlids with Central Americans is a good idea. Central Americans have a much more ratcheted up sense of aggression than most S Americans, so a JD, or any Central or North American cichlid half the size of an oscar is often times much tougher than the oscar.
Note the area at 1:12 minute mark the large area the male JD is defending.
Cristalino
I️

Replied below

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
With only a couple 2" oscars in 125, water changes would not need to be that frequent, but at 5-6" testing the water may let you know how often.
If pH drops, and nitrate doubles in a week you may need 2X 40% changes in a week.
If pH, and nitrate remain stable, you may not need to change as much.
A lot has to do with the alkalinity o your tap water, if tap alkalinity is high, it will absorb the fish urine and other metabolism by-products better than if it alkalinity is low.
Tests for alkalinity can also be very informative because buffers are so important.
If your tap water has an alkalinity of 100ppm, but the tank water drops to 40ppm in 2 days,
then you need every other day 50% water changes, which may not be that out of line for a pair of adult oscars in a 125 gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store