Other than water changes

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
I'm wondering how I can get rid of the partial cloudiness that occurs when feces break down..it makes the tank cloudy and seems full of ammonia.
but what filter media will take out the cloudiness?
the bio media will take out the ammonia right?

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
yes..thats what bio-filtration does...for the cloudiness you need mechanical filtration.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Carbon is designed for the removeal of tannins, meds, colours and smells. Not cloudiness. Jeae, you need a decent filter to remove the collection of waste.
What do you mean by 'full of ammonia'? You cant see it. And if there was any ammonia present, chances are your fish are either sick or dead.
Invest in another filter or cut down on feedings. Over-feeding, 9 times out of 10 leads to diseases, infections and tank crashes etc.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
This is basicly a turtle tank and it's always going to be slightly cloudy. unless it's a pr5oblem thats getting progressivly worse I'd be inclined to tell you to live with it...

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Wolf3101;1211200; said:
This is basicly a turtle tank and it's always going to be slightly cloudy. unless it's a pr5oblem thats getting progressivly worse I'd be inclined to tell you to live with it...
Turtle tanks don't have to always be slightly cloudy. My turtle tank has very very clear water, as much as any of my fish tanks.

Of course that requires a lot of mechanical filtration which I think we've all established isn't going to be applied to this aquarium ;)

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/...zi/?action=view&current=125gturtlefromfar.jpg

That's the tank my turtles were in (they were switched with my natives recently because I wanted the fish in my show tank instead, but they're still in a 125g with same filtration).

There's 3 Rena xp3's and a Rena smart filter (HOB) on there, all filled with biological (pot scrubbers, ceramic rings, and biochem stars) and polishing media (filter pads). There were two yellow bellied sliders and a large ornate bichir (sold bichir, didn't intend on him being in there). No ammonia, nitrites, pretty low nitrates considering it housed turtles, and very clear water.

You don't get that without a lot of filtration, and the filters were NASTY when I cleaned them, so even 2 turtles in a 125g produce a lot of waste.

JEAE21, you can't have a nice clear turtle tank with crappy filtration, it just doesn't work. If you don't believe that after looking at my tank I don't know what to tell you *shrug*.

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
mystix212; what i meant was..
since i broke up the feces in the tank..it "looked" like ammonia was everywhere, because feces has ammonia right?

my XP3 will be coming next week, will probably be able to set it up in 3weeks. when my stand is done.

i did get some carbon though..not sure if it'll take out the cloudiness..since guppy told me it takes out dis-coloration.(green/brown)

the waters clear but after he goes to the bathroom, it gets all bad..after a few hours it's gone though.. but i just don't like the "few hours" it is cloudy...

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Fcael matter does not have ammonia in it. When it decomposes and break down, then it TURNS into ammonia, and if you have a decent filtration system, breaks it down before things get bad, or let alone detectable on the ammonia test kits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store