Overflow filter problems/ Need Recommendations

Do I drill it or just siphon? ( Read Below)

• Drill it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Siphon

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DanielAro501

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
So I recently received a 72’’x18’’x24’’ tank that was for saltwater so it is drilled and has the pillars around the tubing, it has 3 sets of grates, but only the top ones are open, making it a overflow filter. I understand this great for saltwater because of the current thats always in the water, but I don’t want my freshwater tank to have crazy current in it. I has it running just checking for leaks and you can clearly see debris building on the bottom. I was wondering if it would be ok to drill open the other grates or just have to siphon out the debris on the bottom? P.s. i dont plan on adding gravel or any subtrate to the bottomF0F8EFE9-0EF0-46A3-A6CF-39AF1351206D.jpeg

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
That's not how it works.

That plastic has two layers. The grates on the bottom and middle only go through the first layer so the water goes in and then up over the top. It's a way for debris from the bottom or middle to get sucked in to the overflow.

If you drilled them all the way through water would drain through there, and that would define the water level in our aquarium. So unless you want only 4" of water I wouldn't advise drilling those grates :)

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
That looks like it works as a syphon, the size of your return pump will decide how much current there is in that tank

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
An air stone on the bottom might help lift debris from the bottom if it builds up in there

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I try to drill all freshwater tanks, it is not just a saltwater thing.
And many freshwater fish appreciate a much stronger flow than many aquarists realize. (any riverine or stream species)
I have snorkeled many areas with cichlids, live bearers and tetras with a strong enough flow to be pushed out to sea, so I had to hang on to roots to keep flow in place. And at the same time time the fish I mention above were not phased by the current at all.
Of course if you have anabantoids like gouramis, or common Bettas, and other swamp type stagnant water fish, this may be a problem. But that can be solved by throttling back the pumpage.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I use a 1.5" air lift to hurdle big stuff over the corner wier.

I have a corner wier, drilled one siphon, one over flow.

500 gph. 75 gallon mbuna, 400 gph wave maker, full length return spray bar.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
As others have stated do not drill through those. Direct flow at the stagnant areas. How you set up the pipes in the overflows and the size of the pipes will ultimately decide what size return pump you can go with. If it' a durso style with 1" pipe you can have about 600gph per durso.

DanielAro501

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
That's not how it works.

That plastic has two layers. The grates on the bottom and middle only go through the first layer so the water goes in and then up over the top. It's a way for debris from the bottom or middle to get sucked in to the overflow.

If you drilled them all the way through water would drain through there, and that would define the water level in our aquarium. So unless you want only 4" of water I wouldn't advise drilling those grates :)
Oh that makes sense, ok I won’t drill em, thank you so much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store