Patio Pond - Mom Wants One - Potential stocking and building?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Rosy Reds breed like hell. As for clown killi's I like them. What if my dog drinks from the pond?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Please no mosquitofish. The world doesn't need more mosquitofish.

If your dog drinks from the pond...it will still be a dog and still be alive. My sister's dog(s) really like(d) the fishwater for some reason and would drink from it regularly. The fish won't really be bothered if there's enough space for them to stay away from the weird fleshy thing that sucks water out of their home.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok, I was just wondering about what would come from the mouth. As for mosquito fish, I do not want a group of them. In a few days, I think I can go down to get some Killifish. How many should I get? 5?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Well how big is your pond going to be? Give us the dimensions etc. first.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
he said around 15-30 gallons i think
True, but I'd like to know the exact dimensions before giving a recommendation. Like, a 20 gallon pond that's really shallow (say, 6") can hold a lot more killis than a pond that's really deep and has less surface area, y'know?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Hi, I have a galvanized aluminum bin we use for ice and drinks at parties. I was wondering how big You would estimate it. It is 24” in Diameter, and 12” deep. Do you think this could work As a container for a patio pond. Also, would wind blow something like this over? Right now, in San Diego, we are experiencing wind up to 50 mph.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Edit: using this link here https://www.buschsystems.com/resource-center/tools/binCapacityCalculator, I now know this holds precisely 23.5 gallons; large enough for me to use, Do you think Galvanized Aluminum will work?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Hi, I have a galvanized aluminum bin we use for ice and drinks at parties. I was wondering how big You would estimate it. It is 24” in Diameter, and 12” deep. Do you think this could work As a container for a patio pond. Also, would wind blow something like this over? Right now, in San Diego, we are experiencing wind up to 50 mph.

View attachment 1448765

View attachment 1448766
Edit: using this link here https://www.buschsystems.com/resource-center/tools/binCapacityCalculator, I now know this holds precisely 23.5 gallons; large enough for me to use, Do you think Galvanized Aluminum will work?
Awwww....I was gonna make you do math.

I've never worked with galvanized metal before. I might go with a no, since I don't know how much zinc will leach into the tub. But something that's short and squat is less likely to blow over in the wind than something tall and skinny.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok. I think I’ll give it a try. Plants:

A few Red Root Floaters
1 Dwarf cattail
1 Hornwort
1 or 2 Mosaic Plant, and a bushy plant that’s green I can’t put by. The cattail.

Do you think I can get all the Killifish?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
5 killis should work I think. But I recommend being cautious about adding them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store