Peacock Bass Help

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
I have an RTC with my PB and lately they have been chasing each other around and fighting. The bass has gotten beat up a bit and has these white dots on her head along with some marks. Also, she hasn’t eaten in 2 days. Was wondering if this is potential HITH or if she is just beat up and stressed with the RTC. She just sits on the bottom of the tank and doesn’t even get up when there is food. Also she has been pretty dark lately. Any help appreciated.

D2840831-BD3F-40CD-BB82-B9DFC2E2E24D.jpeg

C28B9E0A-7974-4C5A-A2DA-6DC1D4CE89AA.jpeg

ED7F34E3-C474-46EC-85E5-B304F9CEC980.jpeg

2170983C-A958-4673-BD77-67E66D4D4905.jpeg

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
1st thing I would do is separate the rtc. Yes, the bass is really stressed out. Im not sure if that’ is HITH doesn’t look like it but looks more like ich?
1st thing 1st, move the bass or the cat!

Reactions: KelberiFishLover19

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Sounds and looks me like the stress is breaking the bass's immune system down, creating a situation where pathogenic bacteria are setting up shop in its head.
What size tank, maybe its only enough room for ?.
Yea it’s just a 75 growout. Had the RTC in a bigger tank but had to repair the tank so I moved her to the 75 with the PB. The bass has lived by herself most of her life so doesn’t rlly know what it’s like to have a tankmate. Looking to get rid of the RTC this week.

Reactions: TheReefer

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Sounds and looks me like the stress is breaking the bass's immune system down, creating a situation where pathogenic bacteria are setting up shop in its head.
What size tank, maybe its only enough room for ?.
Is that a life threatening situation that needs to be acted on immediately?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some bacterial infections move quickly, some not so fast.
If it is bacterial, "Don't" turn up the heat, that sometimes makes bacteria more virulent (as in the case with Columnaris)
Some salt may help, just plain old table or rock salt is fine (as long as it say NaCl, not something else).
I'd say "not" separating the two, may be a life threatening situation for one of them, especially in such a tiny tank.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Regardless if it’s hith or ich, the two are not getting along and leaving them together will not help the situation. That is how this problem came about one fish stressing out the other. Maybe the tank is to small?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Since it’s sick. Get a divider for now to separate. Once better then remove the fish. If it should die then that’ll solve that issue, not to be rude. Dose some salt. Its not ich looking. Doesn’t look like fungus. I’d add some triple sulfa to the tank. Just IMO.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I mentioned previously in a thread that my bass hit the top of the tank and she nicked her face. It got a little white (nicks). I thought it could be HLLE.
Top fin was also damaged with white stringy stuff.
It wasn't. Salt and StressGuard solved it. But she was eating well and otherwise ok.
In your case if you want to save the bass you need to get rid of that catfish. Otherwise the bass will die. Most anything you put in with that RTC in that dinky tank is going to get roughed up.
I don't see a divider as being a solution. Not for that tank. Like I say, make a decision and divide the fish into different tanks or watch the pbass suffer and die. You need to move quick.
Bass will get dark when they aren't feeling great or when they are "sleeping".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store