Pearsei need help asap

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
View attachment 1365402
I edited the shot to better see what was going on, and the protruding scales are common in dropsy.
This often happens to pearcei that get too much protein, if housed with carnivorous fish (they can't help themselves if it's there).
They are almost total vegetarians in nature, and need that constant ruffage of leaves and fibrous plants to help purge their gut, otherwise protein gets caught up in their long (vegetarian type) intestines creating bacterial infections and blockages.
An long Epsom salt bath could help, if its not too far gone.
Below is a page from my veterinary textbook showing a blockage in a pearsei, probably used because these blockages are very common in vegetarian type species, like it and bocourti.
View attachment 1365403
Since keeping large vegetarian type cichlids with piscivores and omnivores may be common to monster fish keepers (those who keep large fish), are there any helpful hints? Would something like Garlic Guard in the food help? Like you say, vegetarian fish and ominvorous fish can turn to just liking pellet/ stick type food.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Thx man. That means allot.

Definitely something he can learn from. Kid is a softie but in a good way. Lots of sympathy/empathy. Hes been around for losses but nothing like his hulk. Man i cant imagine what they would be like when our dog goes. No exaggeration he still gets sad when our old english bulldog gets mentioned and he was probably 2 yrs old at the time. I have no idea how he remembers him.

We had a good talk last night. Of course we told them they could pick something out after we move, that only pissed him off and says hulk cant be replaced. Eventually got through to him that its sucks and none of our pets can ever be replaced but it does allow us to experience new pets. Doesnt mean we love the new ones anymore than the old, if capone (bulldog) didnt die we would never have minnie (current dog) we dont love her more than capone but just as much. That got him to come around and start looking at fish online. In gonna let him make the choice out of a list we put together.

Infact im going to go post some threads in the cichlid and aro sections.
You're welcome.
-Dave

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Since keeping large vegetarian type cichlids with piscivores and omnivores may be common to monster fish keepers (those who keep large fish), are there any helpful hints? Would something like Garlic Guard in the food help? Like you say, vegetarian fish and ominvorous fish can turn to just liking pellet/ stick type food.
I know diet has been mentioned and im not expert but i dont believe this was dropsey and or diet related. Dmd's post reminds me of the similarities of our tanks. Both pearsei are kept in similar sized tanks with similar tank mates. Diet is pretty much similar as well (pellets) eatly in the thread i didnt consider any of this... was just to shocked over what happened

I also have another cichlid whos the same age as hulk with similar diet requirements and shes absolutely fine. Neither of them ever touched the meaty foods meant for the carnivores. TheraA makes up a decent portion of their diets and is infused with garlic. Imo its much easier to keep herbivorous cichlids with carnivorous tank mates as theres no competition for food...everyone gets their share.

Reactions: Matteus

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I know diet has been mentioned and im not expert but i dont believe this was dropsey and or diet related. Dmd's post reminds me of the similarities of our tanks. Both pearsei are kept in similar sized tanks with similar tank mates. Diet is pretty much similar as well (pellets) eatly in the thread i didnt consider any of this... was just to shocked over what happened

I also have another cichlid whos the same age as hulk with similar diet requirements and shes absolutely fine. Neither of them ever touched the meaty foods meant for the carnivores. TheraA makes up a decent portion of their diets and is infused with garlic. Imo its much easier to keep herbivorous cichlids with carnivorous tank mates as theres no competition for food...everyone gets their share.
Was Hulk way more piggy for its size than the het?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Was Hulk way more piggy for its size than the het?
When younger absolutely. I had to keep him at bay with a pvc pipe while everyone else ate but the last yr maybe little more he's slowed down allot. Infact the het is faster to the food and if i had to bet they eat the same amount relative to their size.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach

Thanks. Just wondering cause my oscars don't eat as many peas as they used to. And I may pick up another SA cichlid when I get my new tank. I am so glad I read the forums. I plan better now and the fish are happy. Want to keep it that way!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Wow Frank I only just seen this. You and your family have my deepest condolences.

Hulk was an amazing fish for sure, I can see why the kids took it so hard. Hopefully it doesn't drive your son away from the hobby and he can move past it with time.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Wow Frank I only just seen this. You and your family have my deepest condolences.

Hulk was an amazing fish for sure, I can see why the kids took it so hard. Hopefully it doesn't drive your son away from the hobby and he can move past it with time.
Appreciate it friendo they are doing better. My son still isnt there yet and he's definitely not nearly spending the amount of time he used to messing around with the fish.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Appreciate it friendo they are doing better. My son still isnt there yet and he's definitely not nearly spending the amount of time he used to messing around with the fish.
Hopefully he comes around quickly. As others have said a new fish or two will help that when the time is right, will be cool to see what he picks when he finally does. :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey Frank, so sorry to read this, and really sorry to hear that your son is taking it so hard. One of life's tough lessons for sure. I still melt every time I have to put a dog down. It never gets easy when it's a cherished pet.

As far as what caused his sudden demise, without a proper necropsy it is so difficult to even begin to guess what happened. If it's diet was mostly made up of AlgaeMax then certainly not any type of blockage from too much protein. Could have been bacterial, could have been a tumor, could have been almost anything.

Hopefully your son bounces back with a little time, with the prospects of getting to choose a new fish down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store