Perch tank

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Had some extra cash when I went to pick feeders up and picked some plants up. As some of you have read my plan is to plant the tank and keep it native so I picked up 3 North American native plants. Sure enough they only had one of each so I’m going to have to buy more and this isn’t the current tankscape the plants will be in but it’s a test to see if the fish up root or anything. As of this morning everything is holding nicely. Btw does anyone know a place that sells live ghost shrimp or feeder shrimp? I know that fish place in Lancaster does but I don’t feel like doing the drive there haven’t checked their shipping prices though. Also have a video of them feeding but unsure where to convert it to post.

And excuse the algae it’s already hitting hard with the tank being near the window.

CF1D05AE-60EC-4EA5-87F0-AE4CB266C420.jpeg

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Look for places that ship ghost shrimp in bulk(such as suppliers or. Collectors).
You could also grow your own scuds

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Interesting you can judge that by pictures of their heads.
It's hard to miss honestly. And it actually became much easier to see by the close ups off the heads then the other photos. The area above the head should not be shrunk in like that against the spine. Young predatory fish have extremely high metabolism which is what fuels their fast growth rates.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It's hard to miss honestly. And it actually became much easier to see by the close ups off the heads then the other photos. The area above the head should not be shrunk in like that against the spine. Young predatory fish have extremely high metabolism which is what fuels their fast growth rates.
This is true, young walleye should be fed multiple times daily,I assumed the malnourishment was from being aclimated?

Reactions: MultispeciesTamer

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
The Walleye already seemed a bit skinny in the first picture of TS. Nothing a load of feeder fish can't fix :) Had a Walleye as well, inactive during day but when the lights were switched off he immediately started catching little fish. When i switched the light back on 30 seconds after switching off the sneaky basterd was swimming around with a minnow between his teeth. During the day he was mostly lying in one spot, only opening his mouth when a minnow or other feeder would swim in front of his nose.
Be Aware that walleyes will probably stop eating bloodworms, once reaching 6-7 inch they will propably only accept live fish.

The yellow perches I had were very active and attacked everything i dropped in the tank. Unfortunately the only dead thing they didnt spit out were bloodworms. So they only ate feeder fish, worms and bloodworms.

My perches didn't only kill for food, once stuffed they continued attacking and killing the feeder fish for fun.
Both sorts are beautiful and interesting fish I think.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The Walleye already seemed a bit skinny in the first picture of TS. Nothing a load of feeder fish can't fix :) Had a Walleye as well, inactive during day but when the lights were switched off he immediately started catching little fish. When i switched the light back on 30 seconds after switching off the sneaky basterd was swimming around with a minnow between his teeth. During the day he was mostly lying in one spot, only opening his mouth when a minnow or other feeder would swim in front of his nose.
Be Aware that walleyes will probably stop eating bloodworms, once reaching 6-7 inch they will propably only accept live fish.

The yellow perches I had were very active and attacked everything i dropped in the tank. Unfortunately the only dead thing they didnt spit out were bloodworms. So they only ate feeder fish, worms and bloodworms.

My perches didn't only kill for food, once stuffed they continued attacking and killing the feeder fish for fun.
Both sorts are beautiful and interesting fish I think.
Walleyed can be trained to eat dead things like fish,shrimp and crayfish,never heard of them being pellet fed tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store