KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I'll start by saying the I've only used the forum once before so apologies if this is in the wrong place.Admins please feel free to move it.

Last year I asked everyone for advice on picking a personable/interactive wet pet that could live comfortably in a 3ft tank ( Interactive wet pet & appropriate tank size - KingPram). I ended up receiving a fancy goldfish from a relative before I could pick a fish and have had the goldfish for just over a year before his passing. I really enjoyed having the goldfish who would eat from my hands, beg for pats and follow me around my room as I worked. I got used to the weekly water changes and using all sorts of treatments/foods to keep my three goldfish healthy and happy. However I've decided against fancy goldfish again since they are overall fragile fish and have a range of health issues as they grow. My Oranda grew from 3cm to 20cm (8inches) in about a year. I'd prefer a cichlid who could reach the 10inch level although I understand they are much thicker/taller than a goldfish could get.

The tank I ended up buying is a 50gal, I believe it is known as a 50gal breeder. The dimensions being 36x18x18 inches or roughly 93x46x46cm (200L). I have 2x large canister filters (Aquis 1050 and 1250) as well as a large sponge filter, bubble wand, heater/thermometer, airpumps all the other good stuff you'd probably need at some point.

Once again I'm looking for a smart/personable fish that will eat from my hands and basically fill the wet pet role, hopefully enjoy being petted. Ideally happy to be alone and growing around the 10inch mark.
My options so far :
Texas Super Green (Or any texas cichlid)
Jack Dempsey ( Most likely shy and a garbage "wet pet")
Elec.Blue JD ( LFS has me on a short list for a shipment coming in 2 weeks. However I have heard they are very fragile and if thats the case I may as well go the Oranda route again)
Polleni or Black diamond cichlid
Severum (Any colour)
Salvini (Are they smart?)

Not keen on Firemouths,convicts and other medium level fish, unless those are really the max size that this tank can handle. At the end of the day I'd rather not having a fish over cramming one into a tank thats too small.

Please let me know if you would recommend any of these fish, experiences or other options. Since I've never had a cichlid before I'm not sure if I'm dreaming when it comes to fitting a 10inch fish in this tank. If Flowerhorns, Oscars and R.Devils are an option please let me know but I'm pretty sure we ruled them out when I asked last year.

Cheers for the advice and bothering to read the essay :)

KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
In case anyone was curious here are some pictures of my Goldfish Bernard from a few months before he (She technically) died, along with the two orandas I bought to make a community. Flash the bright Orange oranda and Titan the Pure black oranda ( both about 15cm,13cm respectively) . I believe they died because someone used bug spray around my water changing buckets ( I'm guessing here that something bad got into that water) since all three died one by one, within a day of that water change.
The tank is right next to my desk and across from my bed so I'll get a lot of face time with whatever new fish I decide on. I'll post some pics of the tank once I have purchased the new fish.

20181207_211047.jpg

20181226_193631.jpg

20181226_194220.jpg

20181227_204949.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store