Pictus Catfish and Rainbow Shark

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hello! I've been fish keeping for a while, but I've found I always come across more things to question. My rainbow shark, for one, has been difficult to accommodate, but he is worth the heartache in my opinion. He's much MUCH less aggressive than he was originally, since I took steps to calm him down considerably.

My tank is heavily planted, with multiple hideouts, but no matter what I do, whether I buy a new hiding place or change things around in the tank/add more plants, the pictus catfish and the rainbow shark ALWAYS house themselves in the same hideout.

My rainbow shark will press himself against said catfish and wiggle a little and nibble gently at the catfish, but never goes for fins or flares up, so I can't tell if he's being truly aggressive or if it's something else? If the catfish was being bullied, wouldn't it move to a different location in the tank?

My shark will occasionally flare up and chase a barb or two around if they get too curious, but other than that my shark has been a great sport. I just want to make sure my catfish is alright. Any thoughts?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Can we get a picture of the tank so we know what we’re dealing with?
I have a rainbow shark with a lone pictus and neither of them have ever bothered each other. I’ve seen him actively go after another fish and push other fish around when it’s feeding time and what you’re describing doesn’t seem like aggression to me.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello! I've been fish keeping for a while, but I've found I always come across more things to question. My rainbow shark, for one, has been difficult to accommodate, but he is worth the heartache in my opinion. He's much MUCH less aggressive than he was originally, since I took steps to calm him down considerably.

My tank is heavily planted, with multiple hideouts, but no matter what I do, whether I buy a new hiding place or change things around in the tank/add more plants, the pictus catfish and the rainbow shark ALWAYS house themselves in the same hideout.

My rainbow shark will press himself against said catfish and wiggle a little and nibble gently at the catfish, but never goes for fins or flares up, so I can't tell if he's being truly aggressive or if it's something else? If the catfish was being bullied, wouldn't it move to a different location in the tank?

My shark will occasionally flare up and chase a barb or two around if they get too curious, but other than that my shark has been a great sport. I just want to make sure my catfish is alright. Any thoughts?

Welcome aboard

I personally experienced the same problem with a Redtail Shark but eventually took back to the lfs. Labeo species can become very territorial if there isn't adequate room. They will chase and harrass tankmates sometimes relentlessly. It good Pictus is getting breaks from the Rainbow Shark and you don't notice any issues with skin or torn fins.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I can't post pictures because I'm a new member, sorry!

The plants are a little sparse at the moment because I had an issue with temperature killing some of them, but they will soon be replaced with a few grasses and more broad leafed plants. I'm going to try and add a third hideout to try and tempt the catfish or the shark to separate, but so far they always choose the same hideout. I had to remove the cave my sharked liked because it caused him to be extremely aggressive, and replaced it with other things.

There is a small tunnel in the right side of the tank, and that's where both the shark and the catfish squeeze themselves into for whatever reason.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I can't post pictures because I'm a new member, sorry!

The plants are a little sparse at the moment because I had an issue with temperature killing some of them, but they will soon be replaced with a few grasses and more broad leafed plants. I'm going to try and add a third hideout to try and tempt the catfish or the shark to separate, but so far they always choose the same hideout. I had to remove the cave my sharked liked because it caused him to be extremely aggressive, and replaced it with other things.

There is a small tunnel in the right side of the tank, and that's where both the shark and the catfish squeeze themselves into for whatever reason.

After 5 post you will be able to upload pictures.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Well in that case, I'll blab a little bit.

The shark doesn't terrorize the catfish constantly. In fact, even right now the shark is out and about, doing his thing. The catfish is hanging out in the tunnel at the moment. Truthfully I'm not sure what to make of it, and I can't seem to find anything online that gives examples of different kinds of aggressive behavior, so researching was of little use.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well in that case, I'll blab a little bit.

The shark doesn't terrorize the catfish constantly. In fact, even right now the shark is out and about, doing his thing. The catfish is hanging out in the tunnel at the moment. Truthfully I'm not sure what to make of it, and I can't seem to find anything online that gives examples of different kinds of aggressive behavior, so researching was of little use.
If the catfish can't venture out and gets chased back to the tunnel I personally would consider rehoming one of them.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
The shark doesn't keep the catfish in the tunnel- he'd definitely prefer the catfish leave if anything. The catfish is very active at night, and I don't think I've ever seen the shark chase it aggressively.

The catfish moved into the tunnel after the shark claimed it, and has done this with every other hideout I introduce.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The shark doesn't keep the catfish in the tunnel- he'd definitely prefer the catfish leave if anything. The catfish is very active at night, and I don't think I've ever seen the shark chase it aggressively.

The catfish moved into the tunnel after the shark claimed it, and has done this with every other hideout I introduce.

Oh I get it now lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store