Planning First Big DIY Systems

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
tank02.jpg

I needed dimensions so the tank can be drilled, so I updated my drawings. This is how I want to plumb the tank.

I am not showing control valves, unions, or media/baffles. This is highly schematic.

The tank and sump will be the same height at the top, so nothing can overflow, ever. Two 1.5" drains connect both, with no check valves. Any water drains freely either way.

Pump is at the sump bottom, and possibly external. No siphons required, If pump back siphons, no real siphoning happens. Everything stays pretty level.

I have an experimental electric boat I built from an old hulk, and it carries 6 group 29 RV batteries. In an emergency, I can power from there, IF I run them to an UPS system.

OR I can get a DC pump. 36vdc would be ideal, as that is what the boat operates on, but I haven't looked into the DC pumps available yet. I will initially power this from pumps I already have, if they appear too expensive.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am having poor luck getting quotes on this tank. One guy flaked on me totally. I like the second guy but his shipping is too high. A third wanted.more cash but the shipping was nil.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
How many Gph is the pump your planning on?
With two drains you will probably be okay.

I ask because water will back up into the display without gravity helping the flow toward the sump area.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I haven't chosen a pump yet but there is a large variety for sale locally so I'm sure I'll be able to get something appropriate.

I run a 365 gph into a 34" head on the 55 oscar tank so I am thinking about 750~800 gph.

How this works is there's no hang on box.
Since the sump is essentially at the same level as the tank it is a hang on box for all practical purposes. The water should fall about one inch where it goes from the aquarium in to the outflow screen or weir.

But it should fall a bit farther in the actual sump. It really just needs to drop enough to have good skimming of the tank.

I'm not going to rely on the waterfall for all of my aeration. In addition to surface agitation in the tank down the salt there will be air powered foam filters in the sump.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This is my first scale drawing, showing a section and interior elevation.
View attachment 1353352
You can see the chimney to be removed.
I've got to hand it to you, you've got some real skills regarding the drawing and design. Most peoples efforts of showing us their design efforts look like their dog could have done a better job.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Ok, I was interrupted during editing my message above and the time limit expired and now I can't fix it. When you read it it's all screwed up because I wasn't finished typing it.

That's a ridiculous time limit. I hope it's only about system security. This is not some political foum where people bait each other and then change their text.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . In addition to surface agitation in the tank down the salt there will be air powered foam filters in the sump.
That should read, "In addition to surface agitation in the tank and the sump, there will be air powered bio-foam filters in the sump."

I've been using the two larger sizes of the Bacto-surge Sponge Filter plus some other brands in smaller sizes, and I like them all.

I have even made my own from scratch back before the local aquarium shop started carrying them.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I've got to hand it to you, you've got some real skills regarding the drawing and design. Most peoples efforts of showing us their design efforts look like their dog could have done a better job.
Thank you. We got many compliments on our drawings from the Department of the State Architect.

I started doing PC computer drafting with CadApple in 1986, right before the first Macintosh.

I had programmable calculators since '75 but drew with a pencil for 20 years before we had affordable computers.

I also drew a bit with some very unaffordable computer systems like the IBM 34. I had to write code with a pencil and give it to a key punch girl, who created a card deck, which she gave to the sysop, who loaded the tape drive, and the card deck, and the plotter, and ran me a plot of my drawing.

They also had an assistant, so essentially there were four people involved in the drawing.

Now I do it on my desktop and plot wirelessly without getting out of my chair.

I am retired, but for the last 20+ years I managed the computer & drafting operations for an engineering company.

Anyhow these drawings are not 100% dimensionally accurate because I haven't done any demolition to measure what's really going on in the hidden sections of the walls. These are really quite schematic in that respect.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I am having poor luck getting quotes on this tank. One guy flaked on me totally. I like the second guy but his shipping is too high. A third wanted.more cash but the shipping was nil.
are you looking for glass or acrylic?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store