Planting my tank

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Growing on the hood will likely be fine as long as you can keep the leaves out of water and roots in.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Growing on the hood will likely be fine as long as you can keep the leaves out of water and roots in.
This is where the light is. If I were to get a LED light and hang from above, the pothos Would spill onto the lid and may cover the Val from getting light.
My light is an LED strip…I will end up getting a LED light to hang from the ceiling, is that enough? I would plan to have pathos in the back of the tank, but I also want jungle Val there too, so could these plants coexist together, even though the pathos are taking all the light?

I need to do some more research on pothos, but can anyone answer these questions ^

image.jpg

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Ever thought of aquascaping? the look of just a random plant in the middle of the tank with no deco or hardscape, eh. Watch MDfishtanks on YouTube. He will teach you everything about the types of plants, he’s amazing at planted tanks as well.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Pothos (Epiprinium aureus) can block the light from aquatic plants like Vallisneria, and stunt them. (although this takes time, and may depend on the ambient light they (and the Val) are provided).
They do well in low light, but a little extra from above doesn't hurt.
I usually place them near a window.
Above, is one growing in a 2 ft deep tank, near a window.
Pothos can sit on a tank brace, rest on a glass top, plumbing, or even a floating log, as log as the leaves are above the water line (roots often permeate the wood).
Its root system can get quite extensive, and often attracts detritus in a tank.
I realize Pothos seems to be the darling plant of the time, but just about any low light jungle plant can be used to the same effect.
Daeffenbacia (dumb cane), Peltrandra Virginia (AKA Arrow Arum, Virginia wake robin), and Pothos (Devols Ivy) are all toxic to dogs and cats if the animals are lame enough to chew on them.
7468EDD1-21D7-4C38-82F2-2EB23BFE951C_1_201_a.jpeg
Dieffenbachia above,Below, Peldandra growing above the surface of my sump, amid the mangrove saplings
778787C2-8A69-4DFB-B86D-B02225AC477F_1_201_a.jpeg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Pothos (Epiprinium aureus) can block the light from aquatic plants like Vallisneria, and stunt them. (although this takes time, and may depend on the ambient light they (and the Val) are provided).
They do well in low light, but a little extra from above doesn't hurt.
I usually place them near a window.
Above, is one growing in a 2 ft deep tank, near a window.
Pothos can sit on a tank brace, rest on a glass top, plumbing, or even a floating log, as log as the leaves are above the water line (roots often permeate the wood).
Its root system can get quite extensive, and often attracts detritus in a tank.
I realize Pothos seems to be the darling plant of the time, but just about any low light jungle plant can be used to the same effect.
Daeffenbacia (dumb cane), Peltrandra Virginia (AKA Arrow Arum, Virginia wake robin), and Pothos (Devols Ivy) are all toxic to dogs and cats if the animals are lame enough to chew on them.
View attachment 1490958
Dieffenbachia above,Below, Peldandra growing above the surface of my sump, amid the mangrove saplings
View attachment 1490959
I guess I should just go with it and see where it takes me. I’ll just experiment with it and see what works best.

My last questions:how many Jungle Val’s should I plant in the back for full coverage? Can I bury the Anubis’s rhizomes as long as I attach it to a rock? How many Anubis’s should I get? I’ll probably think of more. Thanks for everyone’s help ?

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
You. Can. Not. Bury. The. Rhizome. Period. :)

• Love
Reactions: deeda

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Can I bury the Anubis’s rhizomes as long as I attach it to a rock?
How many Anubis’s should I get? I’ll probably think of more. Thanks for everyone’s help ?
I always try to get as many plants as I can right away.
With some, the foliage melts, but the roots survive, and the foliage grows back, once it has adjusted to the change.
You do not want to bury the Anubius rhizome. The small rootlets are ok in the substrate, but not the rhizome, if buried, it will rot and the plant will die.
If the right conditions are supplied to Val, will spread, even to the point of edging out other plants.
In my sump, Val edged totally out Hydrcottyl , and a Swordplant to the point they simply melted away, although it has allowed water lilies, mangrove, and Hydrilla to survive.
I started out with about 6 Vals.
44E48140-5F4B-4416-B0FD-CDFB6988D048_1_201_a.jpeg
As leaves start to spread on the surface, Val can be trimmed, and fed to those vegetarian fish that like it.
Below, the Hydrilla in the sump.
20E099C3-CA63-4BCB-8EE3-8A34B2188C71_1_201_a.jpeg
Full shot
0A39C176-3861-4F54-AA1C-780DA7DF7A8B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Going to AFD today. They are known for their extensive plant selection. They should have a few species of Val. My plan, like most of the time, is to go to the store, see what plants catch my eye. I know what most low-light plants look like, and they probably have sections, so I’ll let you know how this goes.

last question. How many plants do you recommend. I’m starting to see some black beard algae, and some weird rock hard stuff on the driftwood. I want to know how many plants I should get to counter that. I’m thinking 7 or 8…but depending on what plant it is I’m not sure. I think two or three Val, Two or three Anubias, and some other small species. I’m gonna hold off on pothos and floating plants for now. I’m also running into an issue of where to put the Anubis. My driftwood doesn’t offer much, so what could I do?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Don't make the mistake of buying too few plants. Whatever number of plants you buy, whether it's dozens or just one, you will need to provide sufficient light. If you have only a couple or a few plants, they won't use much in the way of nutrients...so algae will quickly take up the slack because the tank is well-lit.

Before you ask for a specific number...and you will!...I can't tell you. Depends on the species you choose, the size of the individual plants, their health, your illumination and probably many other factors. Just keep it in mind. Too few plants makes your job difficult. More plants makes it easier. Floaters do the best job of utilizing nutrients while also shading and thus combating algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store