Planting my tank

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
The lady at my LFS is trying to convince me to not get plants with Black Diamond Sand…is that true? She says no plants besides Anubias etc is gonna work.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I got:

2 Anubias
3 Vallisneria Spiralis (I think that’s what it is)
1 Java Fern
2 Rotala species…not sure which one it is.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
The Vallisneria is melting away…should I add root tabs?
I almost always use root tabs in sand with vals, crypts, swords, and other root feeders, and that seems to help fortify the plant a bit before the initial melt, but as long as they have a good root system, it's probably not necessary, although it is beneficial. Most vals in my experience melt severely once first placed in a tank for whatever reason, and regrow in a week or two; root tabs can help the plant along, but aren't absolutely required for their overall health as long as they have some nutrients in the substrate and enough light.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I almost always use root tabs in sand with vals, crypts, swords, and other root feeders, and that seems to help fortify the plant a bit before the initial melt, but as long as they have a good root system, it's probably not necessary, although it is beneficial. Most vals in my experience melt severely once first placed in a tank for whatever reason, and regrow in a week or two; root tabs can help the plant along, but aren't absolutely required for their overall health as long as they have some nutrients in the substrate and enough light.
I second this. Melting for many new plants is common. I guess based on being moved and different water parameters. The trick is to be patient, let the old leafs die and wait for new ones to grow.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
The bacopa Carolinia is beautiful. Brown atleast 3” and branching out like an umbrella. The Val is growing new roots, and new plants. I already spot 4 new small ones.

F9719078-1DDD-4375-906E-C10F4D2D9EE3.jpeg

152202D6-9DB3-4409-89C1-19A0A652F2B3.jpeg

BDA2E9A8-4998-49D4-A690-F8C53BB0CA4A.jpeg

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Not sure how well this applies to your plants, but you may want to make sure you don't put them too close together. I have had hair algae suffocate/choke out hornwort when I clumped up the latter which allowed the former to do what it did, which may happen to your plants if you put them too close.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store