Platinum Attempt

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Trying to breed Platinum Jack Dempsey's.

Blue Gene Gold Jack X Blue Gene Gold Jack

Eggs discovered on March 21st
Wigglers on March 22nd
Free swimming on March 26th

I've moved them to a bare bottom 20 gallon tank and have been feeding bbs. These all look considerably lighter than normal Jack Dempsey fry. As both Platinum and Gold would be lighter I'm expecting it will be difficult to determine what fry are golds and which are platinum.

IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3035.JPG IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

Last edited:

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
It has been coming for a long time, I have gone through stages but the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's have been one of my favorite fish for a long time. I only a couple years ago found out about the platinum Jacks. I finally have the space to set up this many tanks so we will see how this project goes. So far I they all look gold to me. If that ends up being the case I do have some EB's that I will hopefully be able to add to the breading mix in a few months. The fish are eating like little pigs. Sorry for the photo quality I haven't cleaned the outside of this tank and they sometimes make it difficult to clean the bottom as they swarm over the section that needs to be cleaned the most.IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3152.JPG

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Nice job!!!!!! Keep us posted!

Hilarious how they bred on the glass! I've never had JDs do that!

Keep em fed well! Are you feeding them BBS?

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Yes they were being fed bbs but are now large enough to accept flake food I have been starting to look into making my own food but the parents have done fine on a pellets as a staple and other treats mixed in. These two were actually originaly an unintentional pairing but their fry look pretty good. If I don't get the platinums I have some Erb's that's I'm growing out currently. IMG_3191.JPG

Reactions: YankeeJack

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
has anyone succeeded in making this cross with any degree of certainty? google has no info about them and no pictures of any large platinum jacks that don't look fake.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Nice! Keep feeding BBS at this stage. Great that they are accepting flake, but keep up with the BBS, they'll grow much faster. Feed them until the bellies are visibly full! Of course, you'll need to keep up with water changes, frequently.

Reactions: d033ie

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
It's looking like all of these are gold. I did reach out and have three platinum Dempsey on their way so I can mix them into the breeding stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store