Platinum Attempt

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Yesterday was 6 weeks free swimming. They are growing fast but I'm not seeing any platinums. So either they all died early on, or these were sold as blue gene gold jacks but were really only gold jacks. Either way with the introduction of the new platinums I will be redistributing the pairs to try to match with the plats and the largest of my blues. I got some very small blues about the time of this spawn for a reasonable price but they are very slow growing. I think that these guys will be larger than the blues by the end of the month at this rate.

Reactions: YankeeJack

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Cool!!!! Are you sure you don't have any in your batch? Might be too early to tell.

Where did you get them?

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
IMG_3237.JPG I can't be sure just yet but I'm not seeing any differences that I would have expected. The platinums are from Tarmac, he usually sells fish on aqua bid and has a full breeding room dedicated to jack dempseys with electric blues and platinums. I am actually changing my set ups all around I finally decided to make a single room the fish room instead of having them scattered around the house. I had set up a different pair of golds in the 40 breeder that decided to lay eggs yesterday.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Wigglers! This pair is much larger than the original pair and laid many many more eggs. Even with the amount there were not fertilized this looks to be a significant number of fry pooled in the center. The parents moved the flower pot so it's a littler harder to see into now. IMG_3268.JPG

Dempski D.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Seattle
Awesome. I wish you the best of luck. I have been attempting this for the last year or so. I purchased 4 blue gene "pink" dempseys from Florida at about 2-4in. 2 males and two females surprisingly. None of the fry they produce survived more than a couple of weeks in the free swimming stage.
(OK not thread jacking here, I've just tried to find a straight answer from someone and after researching several 5-10 year old articles I've decided to just figure it out myself. This is the first time I have seen someone posting something this similar and of course, this recent)
Those fry look a lot like gold fry (though admittedly I've never seen platinum fry).
I hope that they have some blue in there

Without be able to produce fry that would survive I ended up breeding on gold (blue gene) with regular demsey male just to see if they would produce. Big batch that I have moved sold, fed to other fish, but I have about 30 fry that I guess are Gold gene and considerably lighter in color, but still look like light colored regular dempseys.
Now that I knew they can successfully produce offspring I got a couple of "blue gene" females. I have about 120 free swimming fry (about a week) and they seem to be doing well (gold blue gene male and blue gene female). Now if I get any electric blues, I would assume that they would be electric blue, gold gene.
The fact that my golds cannot create fry that can survive ultimately led to me trying to deepen the gene pool a little, and also wonder if it has anything to do with these double recessive genes or inbreeding to attempt to produce platinum (apparently they were a part of a breeding program that was scrapped because it was taking too much space)
Very interested in what you come up with. At the very least you are helping to clear some of the misinformation and rumor to breeding some of these fish.
Please let me know if I/my fish/tanks/ can be of any help.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store