PLEASE HELP FLOWERHORN PROBLEM

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I clean it once in 2-4 months my friend said never clean filter just clean water , fluval Fx6 and eheim 2275
But I dont see Algae nowhere. How to ged rid off greenish water. Maybe any chemicals in pet store?
Those work, but water changes are just as helpful.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Rox

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2016
I clean it once in 2-4 months my friend said never clean filter just clean water , fluval Fx6 and eheim 2275
But I dont see Algae nowhere. How to ged rid off greenish water. Maybe any chemicals in pet store?
The Algae your experiencing is free floating algae. I get it a lot too since my tank is right next to my bedroom window. Whatever you do please don't use any chemicals for the algae it will stress out and harm your fish (in my experience) and also kill off the majority of your beneficial bacteria which will lead to more water quality issues. You could possibly buy a cheap UV sterilizer or you will have to clean your tank more often then what you do. Chemicals are never better than water changes!

Reactions: GamerChick5567

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
You have a large stock, lack water change. This is primarily your problem.

Till you get the nitrates down to 5-10ppm range you should only feed once every other day or once every 3 days. It will help not produce too much waste. Start doing daily water changes. Half the water at least. After 3-4 days of 50% water change I would step it up to 75-90%.

Keep testing the water daily and make sure you are getting lower and lower nitrates.

I would also look at cleaving the gravel, filters, and anything else that is old And hasn't been cleaned in a while.

To clean use OLD TANK WATER, this will ensure you don't harm the beneficial bacteria. Also, if you don't already use it I would highly recommend Prime. Use it daily (every 24h) till you get nitrates in check. It will bind them and help relieve your fish of nitrate poisoning which is what they are suffering from.

If your don't act swiftly I fear for the life and long term effects this could have on your fish.

Reactions: Rox

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
The sponge pads can be reused, but the polishing (white) and carbon (black) pads need to be replaced monthly.
Thanks for all replies. I did 50% water change. It didn't help. He is still in the corner. Nitrate shows under 40ppm , 7 ph , and 0 amonia.
But he sits there all day. He is eating good like before. When he is done he goes back to the corner

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
You have a large stock, lack water change. This is primarily your problem.

Till you get the nitrates down to 5-10ppm range you should only feed once every other day or once every 3 days. It will help not produce too much waste. Start doing daily water changes. Half the water at least. After 3-4 days of 50% water change I would step it up to 75-90%.

Keep testing the water daily and make sure you are getting lower and lower nitrates.

I would also look at cleaving the gravel, filters, and anything else that is old And hasn't been cleaned in a while.

To clean use OLD TANK WATER, this will ensure you don't harm the beneficial bacteria. Also, if you don't already use it I would highly recommend Prime. Use it daily (every 24h) till you get nitrates in check. It will bind them and help relieve your fish of nitrate poisoning which is what they are suffering from.

If your don't act swiftly I fear for the life and long term effects this could have on your fish.
Yeap will do everyday change and also be cleaning my filter today. And changing all pads and media. Ill make sure Ill clean it with tank water. What if I clean it with tap water but stress coat added? Will it work too?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
40ppm is much better but still alot higher than I like. Also keep in mind your fish is stressed and thats all the more reason to keep up with more and more fresh water. if you get down to 5-10ppm nitrates and he is still not doing good we can try something else.

In the mean time I would suggest dropping the temp slowly down to 73-75 and add some airstones to ensure good gas exchange. Use prime to detoxify.

Feed very little too, and keep lights on for 6-7 hours a day and dim if possible. creates a more calm area.

DON'T change out everything but rinse it off in old tank water and reuse it. The only thing that should be swapped out is the ultra fin filter media like floss. or things like carbon if old.
You don't want to remove all the beneficial bacteria and kill your cycle. that would make things far worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store