PLEASE HELP FLOWERHORN PROBLEM

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
40ppm is much better but still alot higher than I like. Also keep in mind your fish is stressed and thats all the more reason to keep up with more and more fresh water. if you get down to 5-10ppm nitrates and he is still not doing good we can try something else.

In the mean time I would suggest dropping the temp slowly down to 73-75 and add some airstones to ensure good gas exchange. Use prime to detoxify.

Feed very little too, and keep lights on for 6-7 hours a day and dim if possible. creates a more calm area.

DON'T change out everything but rinse it off in old tank water and reuse it. The only thing that should be swapped out is the ultra fin filter media like floss. or things like carbon if old.
You don't want to remove all the beneficial bacteria and kill your cycle. that would make things far worse.
I did change and it seems still nitrate is high. Don't know other ways to bring it down. Big water changes are not good As far as I know , he still in the corner but now in a different one right next to where filter is

IMG_3568.JPG

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
40ppm is much better but still alot higher than I like. Also keep in mind your fish is stressed and thats all the more reason to keep up with more and more fresh water. if you get down to 5-10ppm nitrates and he is still not doing good we can try something else.

In the mean time I would suggest dropping the temp slowly down to 73-75 and add some airstones to ensure good gas exchange. Use prime to detoxify.

Feed very little too, and keep lights on for 6-7 hours a day and dim if possible. creates a more calm area.

DON'T change out everything but rinse it off in old tank water and reuse it. The only thing that should be swapped out is the ultra fin filter media like floss. or things like carbon if old.
You don't want to remove all the beneficial bacteria and kill your cycle. that would make things far worse.
And which media should I get? Chemi pure is good enough? Or maybe something else you have in mind? I have fluval fx6 and don't like their media

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
big water changes are only not good if you let you tank sit without one for like a month or longer. the tank water while it aging in the tank will become soft and acidic. the tds will raise and the nitrates will too. ph levels drop and kh does as well. its called old age syndrome.

The only way to prevent this is to do frequent water changes.

I highly urge you to keep up with the water changes and purchase some seachem prime to use with water changes. it will help with high levels on toxicity for up to 24 hours
this gives you time to do more water changes and get the nitrates down.

there is NO other way to quickly remove nitrates unless you change out alot of water. but doing big water changes often the water in the tank doesn't have a chance to change it parameters very much at all. so your fish will be fine. Better than sitting in a tank with toxic levels of nitrates that is literally killing your fish slowly.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
big water changes are only not good if you let you tank sit without one for like a month or longer. the tank water while it aging in the tank will become soft and acidic. the tds will raise and the nitrates will too. ph levels drop and kh does as well. its called old age syndrome.

The only way to prevent this is to do frequent water changes.

I highly urge you to keep up with the water changes and purchase some seachem prime to use with water changes. it will help with high levels on toxicity for up to 24 hours
this gives you time to do more water changes and get the nitrates down.

there is NO other way to quickly remove nitrates unless you change out alot of water. but doing big water changes often the water in the tank doesn't have a chance to change it parameters very much at all. so your fish will be fine. Better than sitting in a tank with toxic levels of nitrates that is literally killing your fish slowly.
I had melafix added. To treat damaged fins they had

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Sounds to me like the fish are suffering from lack of oxygen...besides the high nitrates. Water that warm holds very little disolved oxygen. Even discus will suffer if kept at temps 88-91. Lower your temps to at least 80 and bump up your water changes.

FARRUKH1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
List your stocking please. But right away I don't know of anyone running temps that high. Even discus are like 84 and they are some of the highest I know.
Hmphead flowerhorn red dragon, oscar, pike, heart shape red parrot, 2 plecos small, 1 royal pleco large, 1 small green terror, tiger cichlid, and one snake looking one I don't know what its called.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
With that stocking your temps should be no higher than 80. Your fish are suffering from oxygen deficient water...basically slowly suffocating. To make matters worse, the metabolism of fish is sped up at warmer temps, so less oxygen in high temps is deadly. If you don't drop your temps you'll lose your fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store