Pleco Dietary Thread

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
markado;4613689; said:
I heard that some plecos can eat and digest drift wood.. Is it true?
Yes.:)

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
sterlingtjones;4563569; said:
That's awesome! Not too much in the way of food that is more nutritious than quinoa.
I dont even know what quinoa is. I knew a Marine named Quinoa, but he is still alive so please dont anyone feed him to your fish.

fishrookie04

Feeder Fish
Dec 14, 2010
mount vernon
I've started using cuccumber for my Pleco and was having trouble getting them to the bottom but have since discovered plant wieghts. Thin metal strips that keep them in the same location works like a charm. My pleco knows where to find his treat throughout the day. Just stick one through the skin and stays in place until cuccumber center is finished being eaten.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Good thread, like other newbie plec owners I was just feeding my BN algae wafers :/

Tonight gonna grab some pumpkin and squash and see how he/she likes it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With regards to plecos eating driftwood ..........

I have been telling people for years that panaques etc. don't eat wood for it's nutrient value, or for digestibility, they eat it as a secondary action when scraping the biofilm that grows on the wood.

Just recently there is now science to back that up.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ome_catfish_really_eat_wood?&utm_content=html

Based on recent publications by Donovan German and his coauthors, it seems that they are not digesting the wood as was speculated in previous papers by Nelson and coauthors. They don't seem to have a gut anatomy designed to support the microorganisms that would be needed to break down the wood and, like other loricariids, have a very fast gut passage time.

HTH

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Well, she (my female BN) didn't like the zucchini - didn't touch it at all. Thinking of moving to melon for my next attempt.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
SemperFish;4635229; said:
I dont even know what quinoa is. I knew a Marine named Quinoa, but he is still alive so please dont anyone feed him to your fish.
quinoa (keen-wha) is much like rice or barley, and has been a staple food in south america basically forever.
i have some in the cupboard, interesting if a pleco will actually eat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store