Poly being ostracized?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Dragon Fruit.jpg

Lookin Great! Especially love the Dragon fruit sand . I know u did that on purpose and had this in mind :)

Reactions: clm08k

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yes! I am so happy things settled down. You soooo deserve a stress-free tank for awhile.

The Del cracks me up. Love the shot of the mouth only peeking out. :)

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
If it's just chasing at this point and that's not stressing you out to watch I think it will settle down.

I find it FASCINATING that Soba and Mac hang out together. twentyleagues twentyleagues told me the same about my fish in his tank, at least initially. Which means that they recognize each other even when added to a mix of a bunch of other polys. Isn't that interesting?
They do love to pile on each other. From the pictures you can see that they still love to stack up on each other daily. They do go out adventuring on their own and spend time with the other polys. However, they do spend a majority of their time together. :) it’s cool that they recognize and remember each other.

Awesome! Everyone looks great and happy! Tank looks good. I'm glad everything is working out fish side for you. Hope finals, work and lolz your .25 life crisis work out too. I'm waiting to be able to have my midlife crisis, but I don't think my wife is gonna let me. So I just refuse to grow up:D.
Thank you! I’m just trying to figure it out. :) Still working on the algae and nitrate issue. Nitrates go up to 40-50ppm every 5 days. Wondering if I am way overstocked. Maybe this will be a reason for me to get a bigger tank.

For your midlife crisis are you going to get a motorcycle or a sports car? That’s a thing people do, right? Haha

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
They do love to pile on each other. From the pictures you can see that they still love to stack up on each other daily. They do go out adventuring on their own and spend time with the other polys. However, they do spend a majority of their time together. :) it’s cool that they recognize and remember each other.

Thank you! I’m just trying to figure it out. :) Still working on the algae and nitrate issue. Nitrates go up to 40-50ppm every 5 days. Wondering if I am way overstocked. Maybe this will be a reason for me to get a bigger tank.

For your midlife crisis are you going to get a motorcycle or a sports car? That’s a thing people do, right? Haha
Like I said I'd have to grow up first. Lol
While I do agree with magpie magpie it seems high but it's only a 55. So yeah an upgrade may be needed. How big w/c are you doing? I do 80% weekly mine are at about 30 ppm when I do it. I know I'm heavy stocked.

Reactions: magpie and clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
View attachment 1288422

Lookin Great! Especially love the Dragon fruit sand . I know u did that on purpose and had this in mind :)
Thank you!
Dragon fruit for the dragons.
Unfortunate I didn’t have that idea in mind, but it looks so much better if I think of a crisp dragonfruit!

Yes! I am so happy things settled down. You soooo deserve a stress-free tank for awhile.

The Del cracks me up. Love the shot of the mouth only peeking out. :)
Thanks! The del is crazy.
Man those nitrates seem really high for that stock. You've probably said this before but are there nitrates in your tap water?
right?! I don’t have a poly carpet, so I am finding this odd. Plus I have the plants....but the algae may be killing off the plants still or be more than they can handle in terms of nitrates. So not sure if the real plants are helping or not(because I am still struggling keeping them alive due to algae). I bought an algaecide, flourish,and the potassium. I clean scrub the algae every week but am still trying to figure it out. :rolleyes: Going to try the full algaecide treatment.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Like I said I'd have to grow up first. Lol
While I do agree with magpie magpie it seems high but it's only a 55. So yeah an upgrade may be needed. How big w/c are you doing? I do 80% weekly mine are at about 30 ppm when I do it. I know I'm heavy stocked.
Yeah I do 70-90% WC. Probably 80% most of the time. But my nitrates usually get to 40ppm. Maybe 50ppm every 5 days. Still running more tests to get evidence. I do 80% once a week for sure. Have been changing it to do a second day(1 WC every 4-5 days) ; might change it to two 50% changes. Nitrates just seems pretty high for my stock...but it could be from all the algae and plant debri. But maybe I’m just overstocked for a 55g? :rolleyes: Maybe I should ask for a bigger tank for Christmas.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah, a 75 gallon tank really is a similar footprint, so it really shouldn't intrude into the space that much more since they're both 4-foot tanks. And you should be able to use the same equipment, I'd think? Not sure what your filter is rated for but I wouldn't think just going to a 75 would mean a change in anything else really...?

You've been a good girl, ask Santa for an upgrade. People pretty much give 75 gallon tanks away on CL.

Or you could go 90 gallon while you're at it... still not a huge footprint change.... :D

Test your tap water if you haven't already (again, I am forgetting if we discussed that), it could be contributing.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Really the only difference between a 75 and a 90 is height and weight. Width and length is same. I thought a 55 was 40"? I think the one I had was a 45 long or something like that not a 55...... been to long. I switched to 2 50% and my trates were more stable but then they just stayed at 40ish. The once weekly 80% was better for getting them lower, and for my sanity too.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store