Poly pond.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
This is such an awesome idea. I may do this and turn my lowboy into a shell dweller tank.
Where did you get the low boy from? I've never seen them for sale.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
This is such an awesome idea. I may do this and turn my lowboy into a shell dweller tank.
Dont. Read through all the older threads on polys jumping out of sealed tanks. These fish are notorious for going the suicide route

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Dont. Read through all the older threads on polys jumping out of sealed tanks. These fish are notorious for going the suicide route
Mine both got through a tiny gap between my lid and open aquaclear sadly. Be careful with open-style poly habitats.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Mine both got through a tiny gap between my lid and open aquaclear sadly. Be careful with open-style poly habitats.
While I agree and have always said polys and ropes are escape artists you can put tops on these ponds. Either nets or tops fashioned of numorus things. Currently I'm using a net. I've got a solid poly carb top I made also but its a PIA to move to see my fish. All that being said my fish are all healthy and happy they jump less then in the glass tank. Is a poly pond for everyone? No.
I will make this request, keep the negativity away please. If you dont like it dont look. I didnt ask if you thought it would work out. Obviously it's been working for about 6 months. Maybe I know something you dont, maybe I'm just lucky.

Reactions: RD. and Hendre

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
While I agree and have always said polys and ropes are escape artists you can put tops on these ponds. Either nets or tops fashioned of numorus things. Currently I'm using a net. I've got a solid poly carb top I made also but its a PIA to move to see my fish. All that being said my fish are all healthy and happy they jump less then in the glass tank. Is a poly pond for everyone? No.
I will make this request, keep the negativity away please. If you dont like it dont look. I didnt ask if you thought it would work out. Obviously it's been working for about 6 months. Maybe I know something you dont, maybe I'm just lucky.
This is not negativity at all dont make things personal. You posted this on an open forum. I understand you didnt ask me my opinion. Doesnt mean i cant warn someone of the potential risks. This btw isnt my opinion its a fact that they love to jump.

Though its been working for you for a short time overall people should be aware of the risks this type of set up poses. I'd hate for someone to see this and not consider the potential for disaster. Theres a reason why we poly keepers go to great lengths in securing our lids with duct tape, magnets, ect ect.

The worst fish loss i incurred was a congicus jumping because of not remembering to duct tape the lid after a wc. 100% human error.

Reactions: Hao and clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
This is not negativity at all dont make things personal. You posted this on an open forum. I understand you didnt ask me my opinion. Doesnt mean i cant warn someone of the potential risks. This btw isnt my opinion its a fact that they love to jump.

Though its been working for you for a short time overall people should be aware of the risks this type of set up poses. I'd hate for someone to see this and not consider the potential for disaster. Theres a reason why we poly keepers go to great lengths in securing our lids with duct tape, magnets, ect ect.

The worst fish loss i incurred was a congicus jumping because of not remembering to duct tape the lid after a wc. 100% human error.
Well then thats great to hear that you are not being negative. I guess I was still bristling about your comments that have been removed from before. As you see they are gone but unfortunately not forgotten...... at least by me. But if you are indeed concerned for others and poly safety in general then we may be able to have a conversation on the subject and some of the things ive done and have seen. Other may be interested also. But first id like to say the picture that is being painted is I'm flying by the seat of my pants with no other way to have fish and not a care in the world. But if you follow along from the beginning you will see i have talked about having a top from the start. I also said it was possibly a temporary setup. But I like the pond setting and have noticed some interesting poly behavior since moving them to the pond. So the pond is staying.

I'll end this post like this:
KIDS DONT TRY THIS AT HOME! GET YOUR PARENTS PERMISSION FIRST!
I can not or will not be held responsible for your fish acting differently then mine and commiting suicide on you. Polys like to jump or so we think. (Like is a strong word) Please act with responsibility in your poly keeping. I am not a role model. I will teach your children inappropriate things to say and do.( ask my friends with kids)
Thanks for following along........if you dare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store