polypterus delhezi and xenostomys nigri together?

SolidSnek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Northern Europe
Hello

I have Decided to go with a polypterus delhezi. I was wondering what i could put with it. I couldn't find anything about a delhezi. So i really like knifefish my favorite is the Clown Knife but it is way too big for now. Also could i get something else [with these 2 if they work]. The Delhezi is the More important one.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Most other upper jaw polypterus will most likely be compatible, minus possibly Ornate and Weeksii.

I have my Delhezi in with Polypterus Senegalus, Ornatipinnis, Buettikoferi and even a very mild mannered Lapradei. What size is the tank?

Reactions: jaws7777

SolidSnek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
Northern Europe
Most other upper jaw polypterus will most likely be compatible, minus possibly Ornate and Weeksii.

I have my Delhezi in with Polypterus Senegalus, Ornatipinnis, Buettikoferi and even a very mild mannered Lapradei. What size is the tank?
well the dimensions are 120x50x50 so thats about 80G? So the Ornate and Weeksii was never an option

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
well the dimensions are 120x50x50 so thats about 80G?
Yeah that sounds about right. I know that Hendre Hendre has several Xenostomys Nigri in with two Polypterus Senegalus in his tank which I believe is the same exact size as yours. Sen's are of a similar nice, mild temperament to Delhezi.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

+1

SolidSnek SolidSnek Depends on tank size and what you want out of it. If your looking for upper level movement there are lots of ootions or if the del is the star of the show I would add more bichirs. Del's are great fish and are usually pretty active but when bichirs are kept in groups it's a little more enjoyable

Reactions: DMD123

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
well the dimensions are 120x50x50 so thats about 80G? So the Ornate and Weeksii was never an option
You could add a couple of bichirs. Depending on what's available to you

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Most Likely not they are quite rare here. The city that i live in only has one pet store and that doesn't have too many fish. The Rarest fish they currently have is some 100$ Pleco.
Ahh gotcha. The easiest way for everyone to chime in with suggestions might be for you to list some of the species that pet store has available.

justarn justarn are there any online/mail order placed in the UK ?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah that sounds about right. I know that Hendre Hendre has several Xenostomys Nigri in with two Polypterus Senegalus in his tank which I believe is the same exact size as yours. Sen's are of a similar nice, mild temperament to Delhezi.
My tank is a little smaller, 48x18x18 vs 48x20x20 inches. But regardless Kewpie is correct, I keep 4 nigri with my two senegals and there are no issues between the species. I don't think much would be different with a del, just get the biggest knives you can find because they do grow slowly. I'm fairly convinced that there's some size discrepency depending on where they were caught. Who knows

What I do know however, is that they do great with polys in a planted tank :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store