Polypterus Delhezi care (Barred Bichir) and blood parrots

Halo735

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Hey guys!
I bought 2 18~20cm delhezi polys to go w/ my blood parrot pair, and so far, they're doing great.
I've noticed a patch of weird looking things that look like sand. I'm guessing that its actually sand stuck to their slime coat? (i'll upload a picture later on) I just want some answers to these questions.
1. can I feed them frozen bloodworms?
2. can I feed mealworms to my blood parrots?
3. can my blood parrots spawn? (i've seen them lay eggs, but they never hatched)
4. could my bichir escape through a triangular hole that's 4cm in length and 5cm across?
5. if my parrots lay eggs, should I transfer them to a 1 gallon?
6. if the eggs do hatch, can I feed them freeze-dried brine shrimp?

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
1st question: My Poly senegalus loves bloodworms and instantly "attacks" them.
4th question: I'd try to avoid putting anything near that hole so they could lean on it and jump. Other than that - I doubt that they could escape, but people with more knowledge might prove otherwise.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Halo735

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Btw both my delhezis wont eat anything right now. what should i do??:(:(

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Btw both my delhezis wont eat anything right now. what should i do??:(:(
Give them time and offer some real food like bits of trout or tilapia.

Most blood parrots are infertile.

Would probably avoid mealworms for bps because they have a shortened and deformed. Throat and mouth, try crickets if you want

Halo735

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Give them time and offer some real food like bits of trout or tilapia.

Most blood parrots are infertile.

Would probably avoid mealworms for bps because they have a shortened and deformed. Throat and mouth, try crickets if you want
Most of my local fish stores sell frozen mudfish. Can i give them slices of mudfish?
Oh and my polys dont move when i turn the light on or im close to the tank. But when i turn the lights off or stay away from the tank, they start moving again.
Is this behavior normal?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Most of my local fish stores sell frozen mudfish. Can i give them slices of mudfish?
Oh and my polys dont move when i turn the light on or im close to the tank. But when i turn the lights off or stay away from the tank, they start moving again.
Is this behavior normal?
Not that unusual of behavior, if the mudfish is fine as food goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store