polypterus ill, please help, urgent

Museum Fish Aquarium

Feeder Fish
Nov 9, 2017
NYC
Hello.. I am a research assistant in the ichthyology dept at the American Museum Natural History. We have an aquarium behind the scenes, and we have 2 african lungfish, each in identical tanks. We have had them for years and there have been no problems until now. One lungfish is perfectly normal. The other got a slightly cloudy tank two weeks ago and at the same time began to hide behind a long rock structure in the tank. We changed the filter to a more heavy duty one which helped the water clarity, but upon inspecting the fish there seems to be nothing outwardly wrong. It may have a tiny white stripe near its cheek, and we thought it may be fungus. We have been dosing it with melafix. This is the second (and final) week of dosage. The fish seems to be scared and hides deeper into its crevice when I approach the tank (behavior never observed before two weeks ago) and does not move at all besides this. I have been putting food near it 2x a week and it does eat the food, as the next day it is always gone. The lungfish tank had been slightly cold, so we also put in a new heater.

Last night, I went in to the aquarium late, so the lights had automatically shut off for the day. The fish was swimming around the tank! But as soon as I approached and had my phone light in my hands, it hid again and did not come out save to stick its head near a small squirt of bloodworms i had given it. This is the most I have seen it move in two weeks.

We are concerned about the fish and are hoping the melafix is working, but I'm not sure if it has been moving every night which would mean no significant change. It seems to be light sensitive, and hid completely when I turned lights on.

My boss does not know about this behavior in lungfishes and I am a research assistant doing my best to maintain the aquarium. We are desperate to help it, or at least to know why it may be acting like this. As stated before, no wounds, no color changes, nothing outwardly different about this lungfish.

If anyone can help in ANY way we would seriously appreciate it. We have tried to find experts to no avail and this post is my best attempt at finding help. I don't want it to be miserable, and I don't want it to be euthanized eventually if this behavior is something other than sickness.

Thank you all so much and I hope to hear back soon.

PS. the lungfish is about 2 feet long.

ps. i did realize i just typed in polypterous instead of Protopterus I apologize but if anyone can help please do!

Last edited:

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
U said the water was cold thats not good u need that heater in and set it at 80 or so max cold water can kill pr make ur fish like not move lethargic they should be ok try not to add too much stuff meds or anything slowly they should relax and b active

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hello.. I am a research assistant in the ichthyology dept at the American Museum Natural History. We have an aquarium behind the scenes, and we have 2 african lungfish, each in identical tanks. We have had them for years and there have been no problems until now. One lungfish is perfectly normal. The other got a slightly cloudy tank two weeks ago and at the same time began to hide behind a long rock structure in the tank. We changed the filter to a more heavy duty one which helped the water clarity, but upon inspecting the fish there seems to be nothing outwardly wrong. It may have a tiny white stripe near its cheek, and we thought it may be fungus. We have been dosing it with melafix. This is the second (and final) week of dosage. The fish seems to be scared and hides deeper into its crevice when I approach the tank (behavior never observed before two weeks ago) and does not move at all besides this. I have been putting food near it 2x a week and it does eat the food, as the next day it is always gone. The lungfish tank had been slightly cold, so we also put in a new heater.

Last night, I went in to the aquarium late, so the lights had automatically shut off for the day. The fish was swimming around the tank! But as soon as I approached and had my phone light in my hands, it hid again and did not come out save to stick its head near a small squirt of bloodworms i had given it. This is the most I have seen it move in two weeks.

We are concerned about the fish and are hoping the melafix is working, but I'm not sure if it has been moving every night which would mean no significant change. It seems to be light sensitive, and hid completely when I turned lights on.

My boss does not know about this behavior in lungfishes and I am a research assistant doing my best to maintain the aquarium. We are desperate to help it, or at least to know why it may be acting like this. As stated before, no wounds, no color changes, nothing outwardly different about this lungfish.

If anyone can help in ANY way we would seriously appreciate it. We have tried to find experts to no avail and this post is my best attempt at finding help. I don't want it to be miserable, and I don't want it to be euthanized eventually if this behavior is something other than sickness.

Thank you all so much and I hope to hear back soon.

PS. the lungfish is about 2 feet long.

ps. i did realize i just typed in polypterous instead of Protopterus I apologize but if anyone can help please do!
Well I dont' know a thing about lung fish but things that could help would be actual data on the parameters of the tank like, temp, test readings- ammonia nitrite nitrate ph, what kind of filter? Water change regimen? These things are important to know to help. Now and future.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Well I dont' know a thing about lung fish but things that could help would be actual data on the parameters of the tank like, temp, test readings- ammonia nitrite nitrate ph, what kind of filter? Water change regimen? These things are important to know to help. Now and future.
+1 my 1st assimption would have been water quality. How big is the tank ?

I would probably stop usimg the melafix. My undersranding is its not actually a med and at this point theres no point in treating with anything since we dont know whats wrong

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
+1 my 1st assimption would have been water quality. How big is the tank ?

I would probably stop usimg the melafix. My undersranding is its not actually a med and at this point theres no point in treating with anything since we dont know whats wrong
Its not good to have too much meds in the tank too

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would try some hydrogen peroxide on a qtip to the area. Should help to clear up the spot in question. Like mentioned melafix won’t do much. Surprised as lungfish are pretty hardy esp the skin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store