Polypterus in a 75 gallon tank?

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
I'm not the person to ask on cichlids, not a fan of them haha. There are plenty of smaller species that will work in a 75, but as for aggression or the possibility of them becoming a meal themselves, I couldn't tell ya. My instincts tell me to suggest convicts, they are generally fast enough to avoid being a meal, but I would then worry about them turning out to be aggressive towards the polys. Are you dead set on having cichlids with them? I can make multiple suggestions of other fish that work well.
Well I want a one mid swimmer to top fish with my polys.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well I want a one mid swimmer to top fish with my polys.
oh that's easy, get leopard ctenopomas (leopard bushfish) or African butterfly fish, or both! both species will fit for life in a 75, are generally non-aggressive and they cover both your water column needs. the bush fish will use the whole tank, and the butterfly fish use the top similar to aros

Reactions: CichlidAddict4

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
oh that's easy, get leopard ctenopomas (leopard bushfish) or African butterfly fish, or both! both species will fit for life in a 75, are generally non-aggressive and they cover both your water column needs. the bush fish will use the whole tank, and the butterfly fish use the top similar to aros
Ok thanks!

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
I saw the Jaguar cichlid do you think I can keep it with them? It looks awesome.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Here is a basic guideline. If the bichir won't eat it, it won't eat the bichir, it fits in the tank for life, and if it won't kill the bichir because of territory or aggression. If I were you, I would make a list of fish I want to put in the tank with the bichir. Then go through the list and see if each fits the requirements. If you don't know if a certain fish fits the requirements just do a quick google search as it is faster (most times) than posting a question and waiting for a reply.

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
Here is a basic guideline. If the bichir won't eat it, it won't eat the bichir, it fits in the tank for life, and if it won't kill the bichir because of territory or aggression. If I were you, I would make a list of fish I want to put in the tank with the bichir. Then go through the list and see if each fits the requirements. If you don't know if a certain fish fits the requirements just do a quick google search as it is faster (most times) than posting a question and waiting for a reply.
Well, I am a very patient man so I guess I'll stick to waiting for a reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store