Polys in a public aquarium setting

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I explored the Georgia Aquarium today and didn’t see any polys. I don’t remember seeing polys at the Shedd either. Both are fantastic aquariums obviously and have various freshwater specimens such as Australian lungfish, gars, and stingrays.

Why the lack of polys though? Is it because they are not native to the US? is it because they are more abundant in the wild? Not interesting? Most of these aquariums have the freshwater fish, tropicas, local fish, mangrove swamp/estuary habitat, Amazon fish, in addition to their saltwater collections.

Are there any public aquariums that house polys in the US? worldwide? If not, why is the reason for lack of polys in a public aquarium? They seem popular in Japan and in the Phillipines.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I explored the Georgia Aquarium today and didn’t see any polys. I don’t remember seeing polys at the Shedd either. Both are fantastic aquariums obviously and have various freshwater specimens such as Australian lungfish, gars, and stingrays.

Why the lack of polys though? Is it because they are not native to the US? is it because they are more abundant in the wild? Not interesting? Most of these aquariums have the freshwater fish, tropicas, local fish, mangrove swamp/estuary habitat, Amazon fish, in addition to their saltwater collections.

Are there any public aquariums that house polys in the US? worldwide? If not, why is the reason for lack of polys in a public aquarium? They seem popular in Japan and in the Phillipines.

That's a great question. You would think that being a ancient species the public aquariums would display Polypterus and Ropefish.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Did some digging online.

Found ornates featured at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, TN (USA) in their river exhibit.
http://www.tnaqua.org/our-animals/fish/ornate-bichir

It appears delhezis and ornates might have been at the New England Aquarium in Boston, MA (USA) from guest pictures online dated 2006-2008. Not sure if this is current or correct though. Can anyone confirm?

Also found a CB endli pictures at the Toba Aquarium in Toba (Japan).
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...-Toba_Aquarium-Toba_Mie_Prefecture_Chubu.html

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
It appears delhezis and ornates might have been at the New England Aquarium in Boston, MA (USA) from guest pictures online dated 2006-2008. Not sure if this is current or correct though. Can anyone confirm?
I was there this summer and they did have some polies in their 'oddball' freshwater tank - asian aro, african aro, bichers and others.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There's an aquarium in Michigan who's housing polypterus. They were donated for research and conduction some DNA research. I believe it's on public display. Could be wrong of course.

Believe most are overseas unfortunately. Public aquarium Senegals. Its at the 0:40 sevond marl, but did not watch the whole video. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - KLCC Aquaria

[Media]

Here's a decent one in Singapore - River Safari. The kool polys are featured at the 1:10 clip. Both of these video may show more of the polys. I did not watch it in its entirety. Can u give your gueses on an ID for this one at the 1:10 mark?

[MEDIA]

Reactions: tlindsey

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There's a public aquarium on YouTube that has polys in japan in an public aquarium. Believe it in osaka and the displays are at a high end hotel. If that helps any that have seen the video.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There's an aquarium in Michigan who's housing polypterus. They were donated for research and conduction some DNA research. I believe it's on public display. Could be wrong of course.

Believe most are overseas unfortunately. Public aquarium Senegals. Its at the 0:40 sevond marl, but did not watch the whole video. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - KLCC Aquaria

[Media]

Here's a decent one in Singapore - River Safari. The kool polys are featured at the 1:10 clip. Both of these video may show more of the polys. I did not watch it in its entirety. Can u give your gueses on an ID for this one at the 1:10 mark?

[MEDIA]

That Sen in the first vid girth is unreal. Were those Laps on the rock ledge in the second African Biotope?

Thanks for sharing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store