Polyuranadon Thread

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Thank you 88fish and TheLastKon for the beautiful pictures of my favorite moray, Gymnothorax Polyuranodon. I am still in the process of trying to buy one of those from my friend in Indonesia, who keeps several of them in freshwater, together with some stingrays. Here is a video of his aquarium:

Currently I am keeping a nice cute Echidna Rhodochilus (white-cheeked moray) a smaller cousin of Polyuranodon, which won't grow bigger than 35 centimeters. I hope it will get along fine with a fellow moray (albeit from a different species) once I get my hands on a Polyuranodon.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Sorry I totally forgot to update this thread. I have collected more eels, some more E. Rhodochiluses and Polyuranodons. They get along splendidly, no aggressions observed. And they are so easy to entice to eat. Will buy another Polyuranodon soon & will try to train them for hand-feeding :D * kamikaze mode on *IMG-20171226-WA0067.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
john_lord_b3 john_lord_b3 if i remember correctly you keep your water at light end brackish? Wondering how your G.Poly is doing and if you ever compared the behaviour of yours between fresh and brackish???

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
So I've recently become a bit enamored with this particular species, in no small part because a genuinely freshwater Muraenidae sounds absolutely awesome. However, most information about keeping these guys in the aquarium setting seems to be more or less copied from its relative Gymnothorax tile, in spite of recent scientific literature on the species strong supporting the notion that G. polyuranodon is a catadromous species which spends its post-elver life in the lower reaches of rivers in Indonesia, New Guinea and Northern Australia, returning to the ocean to spawn.

A recent study of G. polyuranodon in captivity had significant success keeping this species in locally sourced water (Temperature (°C): 19.9-31.0 pH 6.37-8.19 Turbidity (NTU) < 1 Conductance (μS): 105-221 Ca hardness (mg/L): 14-45 Total hardness (mg/L): 27-60), and I'm wondering what water parameters those of you here who have kept this species have used.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
john_lord_b3 john_lord_b3 if i remember correctly you keep your water at light end brackish? Wondering how your G.Poly is doing and if you ever compared the behaviour of yours between fresh and brackish???
Yes Homer, I keep mine in very light brackish (fluctuating between 1.005 to 1.008 sg), and the sweet spot is in 1.006 sg, at that degree, my polyuranodon are most active and eat like a pig! :D

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
So I've recently become a bit enamored with this particular species, in no small part because a genuinely freshwater Muraenidae sounds absolutely awesome. However, most information about keeping these guys in the aquarium setting seems to be more or less copied from its relative Gymnothorax tile, in spite of recent scientific literature on the species strong supporting the notion that G. polyuranodon is a catadromous species which spends its post-elver life in the lower reaches of rivers in Indonesia, New Guinea and Northern Australia, returning to the ocean to spawn.

A recent study of G. polyuranodon in captivity had significant success keeping this species in locally sourced water (Temperature (°C): 19.9-31.0 pH 6.37-8.19 Turbidity (NTU) < 1 Conductance (μS): 105-221 Ca hardness (mg/L): 14-45 Total hardness (mg/L): 27-60), and I'm wondering what water parameters those of you here who have kept this species have used.
We here in Indonesia already knew that G. Polyuranodon are light brackish to freshwater creatures. All my friends keep theirs in pure freshwater. I am the only one who keep G. Polyuranodon in light brackish (my filter is already accustomed to 1.005-1.008 sg). As for tenperature, ph etc, we never measure them. I'll let you know when we finally does.

Reactions: InfinityARch

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
We here in Indonesia already knew that G. Polyuranodon are light brackish to freshwater creatures. All my friends keep theirs in pure freshwater. I am the only one who keep G. Polyuranodon in light brackish (my filter is already accustomed to 1.005-1.008 sg). As for tenperature, ph etc, we never measure them. I'll let you know when we finally does.
Thanks. I was hoping to try and replicate to the greatest extent possible the natural living conditions of this species, but I haven't really been able to find anything conclusive about what those are. One option was to try and replicate the conditions of the Northern Australian wet tropics, one environment in which this species is found, but the values I've seen for that are soft with neutral pH, which I suspect doesn't reflect the lower reaches of the riverine envirnment all that well.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Thanks. I was hoping to try and replicate to the greatest extent possible the natural living conditions of this species, but I haven't really been able to find anything conclusive about what those are. One option was to try and replicate the conditions of the Northern Australian wet tropics, one environment in which this species is found, but the values I've seen for that are soft with neutral pH, which I suspect doesn't reflect the lower reaches of the riverine envirnment all that well.
Try to follow the parameters set by this research team from Australia's Griffifts University, when they did their groundbreaking research last year which proved beyond doubt that G. Poly is _not_ a marine to brackish eel as many claimed, but actually a freshwater to brackish eel.

https://research-repository.griffit...ndle/10072/348102/EbnerPUB4973.pdf?sequence=1

Reactions: InfinityARch

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Try to follow the parameters set by this research team from Australia's Griffifts Uni when they did their groundbreaking research last year which proved beyond doubt that G. Poly is _not_ a marine to brackish eel as many claimed, but actually a freshwater to brackish eel.

[link removed]
Those are the parameters I posted, though as they were sourcing it locally it varied over the course of the study more than I'd expect it to in an aquarium setting. Based on documentation from the city I'll be living in, the tap water in my area has similar parameters, so that's good news.

Reactions: john_lord_b3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store