Picture 047.jpg

and my lil guy at 6-7"

Picture 040.jpg

venmus93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2009
Houston, TX
These are incredible specimens....I can't get them here in Texas. They (like almost any other non-native, even slightly predatory fish) are illegal. Sucky. I am curious though as to their slow growth rate (especially H. goliath). Unless the water temperature/chemistry/prey/feeding frequency is drastically different in central and northern Africa from captive conditions and is causing a radically accelerated growth rate, the huge 50 pound plus specimens that are caught there must be pretty darn old....like 20 years or more.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
venmus93;3477741; said:
These are incredible specimens....I can't get them here in Texas. They (like almost any other non-native, even slightly predatory fish) are illegal. Sucky. I am curious though as to their slow growth rate (especially H. goliath). Unless the water temperature/chemistry/prey/feeding frequency is drastically different in central and northern Africa from captive conditions and is causing a radically accelerated growth rate, the huge 50 pound plus specimens that are caught there must be pretty darn old....like 20 years or more.
They do grow much quicker in the wild. I have seen on a doco a ten month old vit at 10" to 11". I would think it would be feeding frequency, food quality and water volume. I was originally feeding mussel shrimp and other lower protein foods and was keeping mine in a 75. I have noticed an acceleration in growth when I put him into a 360 and am feeding large quantities of fish meat. Primarily Trout.

venmus93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2009
Houston, TX
jelly;3478702;3478702 said:
They do grow much quicker in the wild. I have seen on a doco a ten month old vit at 10" to 11". I would think it would be feeding frequency, food quality and water volume. I was originally feeding mussel shrimp and other lower protein foods and was keeping mine in a 75. I have noticed an acceleration in growth when I put him into a 360 and am feeding large quantities of fish meat. Primarily Trout.
Very interesting information...thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store