Predator Fish & Schooling Tankmates?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
? ?
The Arrows will stay in the 20 gallon fish store tank for now haha also deciding against the wolf fish as there might be aggression in a smaller tank with so many bottom dwellers. Sticking to the bichirs, a few butterfly fish, and might see what’s around for a nice pike cichlid. The bichirs coming in are 3-4 inches and the butterfly are 3-3.5 already.. hoping they won’t be snacks anytime soon but we’ll see. Going step by step, I’d say the teenage days of throwing the biggest thing you could find at the LFS into your 250 gallon are over, as they should be..
Nice, I have a belly crawler pike and it does ok with my delhezi, I got him at 2” about 2 1/2 years ago and he’s now about 7” buy very thick. I don’t think the bichirs will eat the butterflies. Don’t get me started on my teenage fish screw ups lol

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
I’m not part of the “ your tank is too small” police, but unless you have solid plans on a much bigger tank, skip the arros
Harrumph.

- The your tank is too small police, 2020

Cmartin214

Feeder Fish
Nov 24, 2020
Hey All,

I’m doing my best to set up a 125 gallon with a nice 3D backsplash, sand, rock, some plants, and wood (basically a fair amount of shelter). I wanted to stock it with the following:

2 arowana
1 black wolf fish
1 fire eel
2-3 Ornate Bichirs
1 Blue eyed or L24 Pleco

Preferably to start all on the smaller side aside from the pleco and eel.

I wanted to also adding schooling fish like a large amount of tetras or guppies for a pleasing visual affect. Has anyone experimented with this? Will I be restocking the little guys until the other fish are larger? And if so, how many tetras/guppies are the right amount?
I have a 16 inch silver arowana available for a fee. Located in Boston

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I know this is off topic but a lot of you seem knowledgeable, i just did a nitrate test that came back at 0ppm. From reading it seems like I should want it somewhere around 10? I know not above 40ppm. My nitrite test came back at 0ppm. And just did an ammonia which came back at .25 ppm. I did a water change yesterday at 15%. Should I do another one today? And should I add some api QuickStart?

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Predator - that’s 2-3” that won’t eat your tetras? is a discus a predator? maybe a puffer? small fleet of amazon puffers- gotta trim teeth and feed snails....

sounds like tank not cycled -

find some old media from LFS or established tank - add to this tank

use prime for ammo until tank is cycled -

stability for 7-8 days can help too if you don’t have access to old media containing BB for your tank here...

GL!

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Fighting a bit of a nitrite spike at the moment, not quite sure how people do this without constant testing. Was gone for a week and had someone who left a bunch of decaying tilapia in the tank. Fish were all breathing very heavy. To make matters worst they did a water change by vacuuming the substrate which I’m assuming destroyed any beneficial bacteria in the tank. Pretty much a disaster recipe, did a 50% water change and added prime/stability again. Removed one of the more valuable fish to a temporary tank until the nitrite level decreases. Definitely will not be doing a fish cycle again but I guess that means I’m learning something!

• Wow
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store