Premium 24k golden head Arowana 8 inches not eating

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
These days my Crossback Golden Arowana only swims on the top. Aro swims the complete tank but only on the top and his eating is fine when we drop food near by his mouth.
But the live fish or food which goes down or far from the fish, then my fish do not chase to eat it and infact he will never eat the bottom live or frozen food and will keep starving like that for days.
Please suggest someone.
Well as they're top feeders it's natural for them to prefer taking food there, not on the bottom. When a bit bigger and more confident they'll feed more readily from the bottom, but esp. when younger like yours they may often be more reluctant to do so (I think they just feel more vulnerable).

Both of my Aros will pick up the occasional piece of food that hits the bottom but I can see they're not as comfortable and also I don't really want them feeding off the bottom -- whenever they do it's a quite awkward pick up, not from straight on but from the side and they have to tilt their heads weirdly. Usually probably not a problem but I'm worried they might damage their mouth or barbels in doing so, esp. because my tank bottoms have edged glass bracing all around.

As such, and this might be your best solution until your Aro gets bigger and more confident, what I do is spoon in just 1 or 2 pieces at a time. Aro smashes them then comes around for more. Repeat, repeat. It's a somewhat more time consuming process but means very little if any really hits the bottom (which means less to clean up or cause water issues after feeding).

Reactions: RD. and Yaponchik

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Is there a particular reason you are insisting on feeding sinking food?

I tried feeding mine shrimps but mine too would either gulp it as it fell past his mouth or ignore it altogether when it sank. So I decided to stay on floating food Instead for now (pellets and dried shrimps and krill) instead of forcing him to become a bottom feeder.

Ido is spoon in just 1 or 2 pieces at a time.
I also had to do that because my tinfoils were stealing his food. So I had to feed mine pellets by pellets for 2 months.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
When arowana are young they can be quite ridiculous.

My albino silver arowana, has been there for almost 6 months now, right from 2.5" size, and now Outta the blue he gets shy, and that too only after eating a belly full, until he gets his food he is swimming around normally, just after receiving his fill he start to getting spooked and hiding in the bottom corner of the tank.

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Hi All,
Need an urgent expert advixe on the below,

My Silver Arowana has swollowed the small half inch rubber holder of my RS oxygen+filter which is inside the tank..

Please suggest how to make him vomit the rubber out of his stomach.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well possibly short of making him watch back to back episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians there's really not much you can do at this point. Your fish hopefully may eventually spit it out but it could get lodged in the wrong place and fish could die (but how long it takes in either case is anybody's guess).

Unbeknownst to me my BBXB swallowed a pronged rubber suction cup -- at least 4 months later it spat it out. In the meantime it slowed its appetite, energy level and growth, all of which are back to normal now. Frankly I was shocked it didn't die from it.

I can't say that same will happen with your fish, but certainly hope it does and much sooner. For now breaking/cutting food into smaller pieces might be a good idea. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Well possibly short of making him watch back to back episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians there's really not much you can do at this point. Your fish hopefully may eventually spit it out but it could get lodged in the wrong place and fish could die (but how long it takes in either case is anybody's guess).

Unbeknownst to me my BBXB swallowed a pronged rubber suction cup -- at least 4 months later it spat it out. In the meantime it slowed its appetite, energy level and growth, all of which are back to normal now. Frankly I was shocked it didn't die from it.

I can't say that same will happen with your fish, but certainly hope it does and much sooner. For now breaking/cutting food into smaller pieces might be a good idea. Best of luck and keep us updated.
Hi All,
I am lucky....my silver Aro vomitted the rubber and I removed it ..thanks to you all for some suggestions.

Reactions: islandguy11

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Hi,
My Crossback Golden Arowana now eating good, swimming well in the tank and listens to us when we try to talk to him.
But somedays suddenly he jumps a lot for 2-3 secs continuously and same we are not able to understand why such.
Experts, please share your valuable resolution on this to understand this behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store