QUALITY over QUANTITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
@Hendre is the perfect example of a younger, new member popping up and actually paying attention to whats going on. Almost three years ago when he showed up, he was quite inexperienced. He stayed humble however, and has learned quite a bit in the process.
I agree, well done Hendre. :thumbsup:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So RD,did that member respond to you correcting him?

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This forum took me from a hapless teenager to a somewhat well-read aspiring science student! Good information is key!
Honestly?

Same.

This forum is a big part of the reason I went back to school back in 2010 and got me ah edjamacashun, to the point that I'm now a faculty member of a major university (admittedly a lowly one, but still), and earn my living as a fisheries biologist. The level of quality that is to be found here is staggering.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So RD,did that member respond to you correcting him?
No. lol

The ironic part was that he sent that PM over a comment I made about another persons flowerhorn, even though the OP of that discussion went on to thank me, more than once, for the advice and input that I had given him. And I continue to do so whenever he reaches out. Was I blunt and to the point, yep, but this isn't little kiddies fishkeeping forum, and often times I think some people see more than what's there. Maybe I'll be like my old man and soften up when dementia hits? :)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
It's good to let new members know how things work and to encourage them to read and learn a bit before spreading info they think they know which may not be true. True knowledge comes from experience and learning from mistakes.

On the flip side of that- It's also a good idea for some experienced members to realize that they could have the most accurate, informative information on hand, yet if they present themselves in a harsh disrespectful manner then that accurate information is completely useless to others reading it.

I simply say that because there is a certain member whom is on my ignore list and I don't even see his posts these days. It's not because he doesn't know what he's talking about, because his info is almost always accurate, it's simply because I got tired of seeing him conduct himself in such a disrespectful manner to people, because it's one thing to be straightforward, but it can be done in a respectful manner as well.

Good to see you guys keeping an eye on the site. Some sites I don't even bother reading anymore just because they got so crazy with miss-information or arguments and such, nice to see that won't happen here.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
[...]

On the flip side of that- It's also a good idea for some experienced members to realize that they could have the most accurate, informative information on hand, yet if they present themselves in a harsh disrespectful manner then that accurate information is completely useless to others reading it.

[...]

Good to see you guys keeping an eye on the site. Some sites I don't even bother reading anymore just because they got so crazy with miss-information or arguments and such, nice to see that won't happen here.
You make a valid point. I've been trying to talk to my fellow grumpy old men about the manner in which we approach the newer members as well. The problem is two sided, and no one gains anything when the site is in a state of civil war where the members see each other as enemies.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While I agree with both Steve and Rob that everyone, myself included, can at times choose their words or approach better, the recent frustration and outbursts that I have seen was due to no one else standing up. And it wasn't just one or two threads, or one or two comments, it was a lot, no doubt for some members frustration building up over weeks/months. I felt their pain, what was going on wasn't healthy for anyone, and it was lowering the content quality of this site. It was starting to feel like 2005/2006 all over again to me.

As far as grumpy old men (or women, better keep this PC), personally I will gladly take 1 grumpy, but knowledgeable member, over 100 kids that are flying by the seats of their google pants, any day of the week. And for those that are easily offended by words posted on a fish forum, that's exactly what the ignore feature was designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store