QUALITY over QUANTITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
MFK is the only fish keeping forum I am a member of but I am also a member of a wine making forum and a cycling forum. I've found that although neither of my hobbies are related to one another there is a very common theme which runs through each forum, and no doubt countless other forums worldwide. That common theme is that there is a massive difference in expertise. This can lead to problems, hence the OP's post.
I agree completely. This problem has gotten so bad that it's forced me to come out of semi-retirement to manage it, event though I don't really have the time to spare to do so right now. Still though, I refuse to stand idly by and watch something I helped build be torn down.

And of course you always get the "grumpy" members who, of course, aren't really grumpy, they just don't suffer fools gladly and have the balls to come out and say something that the rest of us are thinking. This usually happens if someone has the tenacity to post misinformation. We've all witnessed posts on here that turn into slanging matches.
I must admit, I am one of those people who don't suffer fools lightly. I was a drill sergeant in a past life, and if not for the fact that I'm staff and acting on behalf of the forum itself, my responses to people would be far more, shall we say direct.

I'm just here to show off my fish :) -- not my knowledge, which really isn't much.

But one reason I have nice fish to show off is due to the super helpful info I've learned on MFK from more experienced hobbyists. At the end of the day keeping happy & healthy fishes is what it's all about, so big thanks to MFK site/admin/members for helping to achieve this -- an occasional 're-alignment' as brought forth by Chicxulub can only make the site stronger.
This forum is incredibly strong. We're the only fish forum of our genera to survive the arrival of Facebook, and still the largest FW fish website in the world. We've survived worse, and we'll get through this as well. I like to think that most of the members here have faith in the forum's ability to weather the storms it faces.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Everyone knows monsterfishkeepers one way or another most are because of the 50k tank build but the important thing is that a lot of people pay attention and look at us for guidance. People here have made breakthroughs in the fishkeeping hobby that have changed our hobby forever. We are paving the road for future big fish keepers that would be lost or even worse never see their dreams through because they had no idea how to even go about setting up a monster sized tank with monster fish. This site is truly one of a kind and it brings people from all around the world and from all ages together to bond over our love for fish. I hope this site will still be here and running strong when I’m an angry 90 year old man yelling at kids to stay away from my ponds and to contribute to that dream I personally am trying my best to control myself and change bad habits I have so one day if I’m fortunate enough I’ll be up there with oddball, chicxulub, thebiggerthebetter, and several other truly amazing people.
Monsterfishkeepers is my home and to anyone else reading this and trying to decide if you want to join then I welcome you to make it your home too.

(Hope I didn’t take away from the meaning of the thread with my little speech)

Last edited:

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
And for what it's worth to anyone who's paying attention and may care, I have the ability to FORCE our young, immature members to behave in the manner I want them to on this forum, but I'd really rather not do that.

There is one who is seriously being considered for it however.

Veteran members: I've heard you. We're going to get through this process together. Most of these kids mean well, they just lack guidance; as evidenced by fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 's post directly above mine. We can bring them into the fold. Allow me to moderate; contact me if you must.

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
So to some of our younger/newer members here I offer this - just give it some time, and for now stick to what you actually have experience in. The rest of the time act as a sponge and absorb everything that you can from those that have already been there, and done that.
I wish I could've heard that when I first joined originally, but then again knowing me I doubt I would've listened.

However I'll gladly admit I still have a lot to learn, hence why most of my threads are simply me asking questions. Its also typically why I don't chime in to a lot of threads, but if I feel the need to chime in on something or find something I can chime in on, then I will. I also typically only find myself lurking, so that I can learn things that the other members have to share. Whatever that information might be, even if not a problem for me at the moment, there could be a day down the road where I might need some of that information given. Personally I do genuinely enjoy this site, despite my lack of overall activity or posts. I do hope someday that I can help out more with giving out information and just being a productive member of the site. Perhaps those may seem like high hopes but I guess we'll see.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
We are paving the road for future big fish keepers that would be lost or even worse never see their dreams through because they had no idea how to even go about setting up a monster sized tank with monster fish.
We? Nice little speech, fishhead, coming from someone who's been here for 5 minutes. My previous comments were directed at a few different people, and you're one of them.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-deal-with-clown-loaches.709261/#post-8000784

That was just a few weeks ago. And there's plenty more where that came from, and you know what I'm referring to.

So now you are suddenly all growed up and leading by example? How special. I hope you meant what you posted, I guess time will tell.

And next on that list is a kid who owns a 29 gallon with pea puffers, giving advice to NEW members here on how to set up their 400 gallon pond with predatory fish. What a farce. Welcome to MFK, where a 12 year old will instruct you on how to keep your new monster fish healthy, wealthy, and wise! I think I'll start making t-shirts.

I'm not Rob, and I don't have to be nearly as PC as he is. I would have already swung the axe.

Good night Irene.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I've been here for 6 months and it may not seem like much to you who has been here for almost 12 years but it's still a decent amount of time.
Yes I did try to argue that over something I pulled off of google but I'm actively trying to break that habit everyday.
I meant what I posted and I posted what I meant.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I was planning to do an individualized apology to each of the people that have expressed their dislike for me or called me out when I have posted wrong information but since chicx has even agreed with the idea of a public apology I shall do one after I make the individual apologies.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
RD. RD. Hey man I don’t want I weird you out, but I think I’m becoming your biggest fan on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store