QUALITY over QUANTITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
While I agree with both Steve and Rob that everyone, myself included, can at times choose their words or approach better, the recent frustration and outbursts that I have seen was due to no one else standing up. And it wasn't just one or two threads, or one or two comments, it was a lot, no doubt for some members frustration building up over weeks/months. I felt their pain, what was going on wasn't healthy for anyone, and it was lowering the content quality of this site. It was starting to feel like 2005/2006 all over again to me.

As far as grumpy old men (or women, better keep this PC), personally I will gladly take 1 grumpy, but knowledgeable member, over 100 kids that are flying by the seats of their google pants, any day of the week. And for those that are easily offended by words posted on a fish forum, that's exactly what the ignore feature was designed for.
I agree wholeheartedly with all of that.

It's the reason I stepped in. The site had reached a point where our direction was questionable, and it needed to be addressed. The deference to real experience is why we've gotten our reputation for reliable advice, and it seemed to me that the paradigm was being challenged.

We can't have that.

Some very valid points, I will say there have been some very knowledgeable noobs with a wealth of information when they first joined. There is people who have been members for ages who give out just plain wrong advice.
I agree. I'm not besmirching newer members as a whole. There are tons of newer members here who fit right in. Hendre Hendre , MrsE88 MrsE88 , Go_redfish Go_redfish , twentyleagues twentyleagues , etc are all new members who fit in and are great new additions to this site. Hell, the whole Poly section practically fits the bill now.

My goal with this post is to set the newer members who are trying to present themselves as something they're not and/or generally rocking the boat on the right path. We want MFK to be a place where academic integrity is considered an important value, which is why the half-truths and sensationalism needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's often a tankless (corny pun inserted) job, but I for one appreciate you taking the time away from your real life to address all of this. Thanks Rob.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Thank you Rob :headbang2 , and thank you RD for setting me straight when I get it wrong. :mwave:

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
To think that i skimmed right over this thread the last couple days(totally thought it was a thread related to the quality of fish purchased). Im glad to see the issue addressed. Theres far too much of the "google the answer, and post the first thing you read" going on. And when you state your personal experience on the topic, the "googler" will try to tell you your wrong, because google told them different.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
MFK is the only fish keeping forum I am a member of but I am also a member of a wine making forum and a cycling forum. I've found that although neither of my hobbies are related to one another there is a very common theme which runs through each forum, and no doubt countless other forums worldwide. That common theme is that there is a massive difference in expertise. This can lead to problems, hence the OP's post.

You get people who are extremely knowledgeable of their hobby and are an absolute godsend to the lesser experienced on the forum. They help newbies, no matter how basic of a question they have. These type of members are like gold dust.

Then on the other hand you get people from the above category who, sadly, have no time for the novices, they just expect other forum users to be up to speed with everything related with the hobby. I've often seen experienced members of a forum (not so much on MFK, but certainly other forums) actually belittle other less experienced members.

You get people who think they know it all and repeatedly post misinformation (fortunately this category tend to get outed pretty quick, usually by the "grumpy" members, see below).

You get people who never post at all, just lurk, watching and learning along the way, until maybe they gain some confidence and experience to join in.

And of course you always get the "grumpy" members who, of course, aren't really grumpy, they just don't suffer fools gladly and have the balls to come out and say something that the rest of us are thinking. This usually happens if someone has the tenacity to post misinformation. We've all witnessed posts on here that turn into slanging matches.

And there lies the problem. A forum of any type, consisting of members with vastly different levels of skill will never be perfect.

Receiving a true expert answer from an expert with years of experience to fall back on is one thing, but getting a true expert answer from a wannabe, who's churning out a clippet from something they've read on google, and so they believe said information to be gospel, is another thing, but, unfortunately, this is where we're at.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm just here to show off my fish :) -- not my knowledge, which really isn't much.

But one reason I have nice fish to show off is due to the super helpful info I've learned on MFK from more experienced hobbyists. At the end of the day keeping happy & healthy fishes is what it's all about, so big thanks to MFK site/admin/members for helping to achieve this -- an occasional 're-alignment' as brought forth by Chicxulub can only make the site stronger.

Reactions: Hendre
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store