Raid Area 51

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm just trying to share that linkage on a mobile device and for some reason it is bloody impossible.
I also often run into such issues when I attempt to share links.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I think the movie was called Social Network . . .
You are correct. And while MZ certainly isn't the world's most rotten guy, and I don't wish him harm, he's lied outright to congress (and they winked! Zuckerberg skated.)

Everybody in the computer biz must realize that what he said he was doing, and would do, is not actually possible to promise. It's a big technical can of worms, with enough variables that one cannot determine that a solution is even possible.

The system is so complex as to defy analysis insomuch as it is constantly changing in content, scope, and reach. Who is gonna try and explain this away to an angry US public? . . . that we have a cash-spewing monster, but it's out of control and may kill you. They could promise efforts, but never safety.

The truth is that nobody's data is safe forever. Much of it isn't safe now, but the business is the biggest, and you don't choke the Golden Goose!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . If he is saying that those sites surpress free speech then he needs to realize that "free speech" doesn't work that way in privately owned entities such as facebook, youtube, and other online bases such as websites. And there is nothing wrong with that. If someone does not like the way a certain website like facebook, google or youtube works, then no one is forcing them to use them. . . .
This argument breaks down when you get to a monopoly.

In the old days the Bell co had a monopoly.

You had to rent their phone by the month, but you were responsible for any damage.
One phone. Almost no home had two.

It was black unless you paid extra.
That phone did not move from it's wall. A table phone didn't move far.
They refused to put wires to remote rural locations, so many people had to share phones or drive to find a public phone.

It would cost a fortune to make a call out of your area code.

When you could buy a hamburger for 19 cents, a Volkswagen for $1700 & gas was 24 cents a gallon, a long call from Denver to Omaha might easily cost $10 or more! You could drive the VW there for $10 gas, and have dinner too!

It was a total ripoff, but they justified it to congress by promising those rural wires (that never happened.)

Then congress broke up the monopoly.

Nobody really wanted this because the US phone system was the best in the world. People feared US service would become second rate. But as it turns out it was in our best interest.

All of those problems vanished. What we have now is much, much better.
And it's virtually world wide. I can message people in Texas or India or Brazil for no extra charge.

But we first had to look the other way while they made the sausage.

Reactions: Dloks

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I fail to see how what you just posted breaks down what I said about a private entity. IMO what you are talking about above has nothing to do with what I said about website bases groups which people choose to join and use. When you are talking about the old days where there was a single company that provided a phone service (something that is basically a necessity for health/safety reason etc etc) back then, to a social media website that people choose to join for personal entertainment more or less. IMO that is comparing apples and oranges.

Reactions: jaws7777

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Zuckerberg can lie to congress that our data will be safe, and they publicly buy his lie, and let him go. FB is too big to control.

He has the same power that Bell had when they lied about rural service, and then 50 years later, cheap rural internet; and congress bought it EVERY time, because Bell was too big to answer to congress.

Lots of jobs and lives depend on FB as they did Bell. Congress doesn't want responsibility for any disruptions, even when they need to happen. but they need to happen.

FB, Google, Youtube, and other biggies, are fighting the notion that they are not just a conduit of data, and that they are manipulating the availability and channeling of data.

By doing that they can manipulate opinion, and thus, even elections.

Reactions: FMA4ME

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I believe congress knows exactly what its doing. Yeah they hoot and holler about breaking up big companies but in a free market system that could be a dangerous tendency. Cable and electric companies have been getting away with this forever.

We dont have to use FB we choose to. Not the same with electric companies. Even cable for that matter.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I think we're past that touchstone. People can choose to leave, but are totally persuaded not too, even when it would be in their best interest. These companies have too much pull.

BTW, the 4+ hour series of Apollo: What We Saw was done by Whittle and the Daily Wire. And very well done too.

Hell, I cried about ten times.

But I was there. Living on missile bases and radar bases. My pop was spotting launches on the radar. If your dad was in the Air force or NASA or the Navy back then, you were glued to this stuff.

These idiots that believe we never landed on the moon are deluded. Nothing was ever more real than the day we saw Buzz walk on the moon.

Reactions: Jexnell

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Just a difference of opinions man. Not everyone is going to view every subject exactly the same, it's no biggie.
There is nothing between us Steve. My beef is with a congress that is running amok. They need to get things under control instead of all this public whining about how evil and racist Americans are. It's congress that is increasingly evil and racist.

Reactions: Steve_C
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store