Ray Keepers--- DO YOU RUN A UV on your tank--and why?

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I spent $180 for a new 55w Laguna on eBay. I might add that it's a unit that the all mighty Ken vouched for.

In my opinion it's a great addition to any set up. I personally will never have a ray tank without a UV.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jhutch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
New York
aquaticmadness.com
So 100w total is good for 1k gallons then? Thats easy to get.

I never have water temp changes with my water changes. I have 3 100 gallon tubs i fill as holding tanks with heaters to get the water up to temp and they all have seeded filters running on them so the water is ready to go. 72 dollars a piece for the tubs which are normally sold as horse water troughs and they are a solid composite material so no metal to rust or anything like that. I figured i couldnt go wrong for the price and with a sump pump from the local True Value to make my life easier why not lol.

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
For a 1,000 gallon tank, it would take 75w at 1,500gph for level 2 sterilization. I stole this formula from another member who made a huge post on the subject.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So 100w total is good for 1k gallons then?
NO! Wrong idea.
Let me show you how daisy chaining affect dosage.
Consider (2) 58W high output bulbs tied in series at 1000gph.
2X 23.7 = 47.4 mJ/cm^2
P2.JPG

Consider (2) 54W standard bulbs in a single 6" dia chamber at 1000gph.
165.03mJ/cm^2
P1.JPG

In conclusion, you would have you daisy chain 7 bulbs to equal a single 6"-2 bulb unit. So which one would you get?
116W unit = $819 = 47mJ/cm^2
6" -2bulb = $915 = 165.03mJ/cm^2

P2.JPG

P1.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hope everything makes a little more sense now..... :)

Ken's chart shows where the "getting ripped off" pricing came from. IF you're not gonna waste money on UV it can be an investment. Well worth it no doubt. Threads like these kinda makes a lot of us "see the light" cause we get to see results. And see why it would be silly to not pony up the money when you can get results like what we've seen.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So 100w total is good for 1k gallons then? Thats easy to get.

I never have water temp changes with my water changes. I have 3 100 gallon tubs i fill as holding tanks with heaters to get the water up to temp and they all have seeded filters running on them so the water is ready to go. 72 dollars a piece for the tubs which are normally sold as horse water troughs and they are a solid composite material so no metal to rust or anything like that. I figured i couldnt go wrong for the price and with a sump pump from the local True Value to make my life easier why not lol.
Why would you have 300 gal of water sitting around you may as well have another tank

Changes in water temp doesn't bother rays one bit the temp drop even simulates rain fall Which stimulates breeding in adult rays as they think it's the rainy season

In my old tank 350 gal I changed 30% in the winter and the temp dropped from 86 down to 79-80 with no problems and this is when most breeding took place

Like I said if its a ray only tank the temp drop is no problem as they don't get ick but if it's a mixed comm tank and the other fish do get ick we all know how hard it can be to treat with rays

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
NO! Wrong idea.
Let me show you how daisy chaining affect dosage.
Consider (2) 58W high output bulbs tied in series at 1000gph.
2X 23.7 = 47.4 mJ/cm^2
View attachment 823926

Consider (2) 54W standard bulbs in a single 6" dia chamber at 1000gph.
165.03mJ/cm^2
View attachment 823930

In conclusion, you would have you daisy chain 7 bulbs to equal a single 6"-2 bulb unit. So which one would you get?
116W unit = $819 = 47mJ/cm^2
6" -2bulb = $915 = 165.03mJ/cm^2
Not sure this holds up because you would just slow the flow rate down in the daisy chain giving you a longer contact time which is the important part

If you go into many marine shops they all link up multi UV to run a system

You do not need to spend the kind of money you are talking to set a system up to run a 1000 g you just adjust the flow rate accordingly
You cut the hose tails down to the biggest size they can take the keep the joining hoses as short as poss

You wouldn't happen to be selling the $800-1300 units would you lol

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Not sure this holds up because you would just slow the flow rate down in the daisy chain giving you a longer contact time which is the important part

If you go into many marine shops they all link up multi UV to run a system

You do not need to spend the kind of money you are talking to set a system up to run a 1000 g you just adjust the flow rate accordingly
You cut the hose tails down to the biggest size they can take the keep the joining hoses as short as poss

You wouldn't happen to be selling the $800-1300 units would you lol

Slowing it down to get the higher dosage is not the answer because now you're not pulling in the pathogen into the chamber. A minimum flow rate is require for each size of tank. From there you determine the Wattage and chamber design required. Not the other way around like you suggest.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
T1 how many watts are you running and what is the flow rate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store