Ray Keepers--- DO YOU RUN A UV on your tank--and why?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Yes HMA with a over flow drain on the sump

It pushes about 200 gal per day of fresh water in more in the summer I control my tank temp with it
If I turn the HMA off my tank will hit 92 with just the pumps and UV

With the UV the way I have them you are using something like 100w of inline heater

If you were to turn over the whole tank per hour you would need to run a 1000 gal per hour throw it
I have a 18,000 lph connected to mine with a T Double tap so I can send as much water to them as needed
But it's a long way for the pump to push water which also slows down the flow rate about 15ft so to push 1000 gal you would need a 1500 gal pump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Keepin, how is the ray doing now? I read somewhere that you purchased/hooked up a UV filter.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
With mine as you can see I have 4 units with long life Arcadia tubes which last 1 year
To split the cost of changing the tubes I change 2 every 6 months so about $25 every 6 months $50 per year to maintain them which I don't think is bad

The hose tails I change every 2 years as the wear thin from the light and water flow hose tails cost about $10 per pair so $40 every 2 years

UV don't cost much to run or maintain

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
just some feed back..................

i have had a UV sterilizer installed for 13 days now... I have a pair of p14, leo, and a leohen in this tank. i have had the p14 a little over a year now.

i was told that it is normal for p14's to breathe heavy after feeding them. I have noticed this for the year+ i have had them.... since i have added this UV, i have not noticed them breathing heavy at all not once! Coincidence? I don't seem to think it is, after nearly two weeks they seem very active and never breathing heavy.
Some of the guys that are breeding rays like rabbits, what do they have in common? Many of these guys that i have talked with are running UV's.

With rays, i am starting to think it is more than a luxury item.
you ready right Spotfin! i could not be happier!

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I have been running a 40 watt lifeguard unit on my tank at around 250-300 gph after head loss since Jan. It not only gives some piece of mind but it also does an excellent job of polishing the water.

I would never go without one again since the cost of running them is so low

modelaratrod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2012
Denver
Keepinfish what UV sterilizer are you running?

just some feed back..................

i have had a UV sterilizer installed for 13 days now... I have a pair of p14, leo, and a leohen in this tank. i have had the p14 a little over a year now.

i was told that it is normal for p14's to breathe heavy after feeding them. I have noticed this for the year+ i have had them.... since i have added this UV, i have not noticed them breathing heavy at all not once! Coincidence? I don't seem to think it is, after nearly two weeks they seem very active and never breathing heavy.
Some of the guys that are breeding rays like rabbits, what do they have in common? Many of these guys that i have talked with are running UV's.

With rays, i am starting to think it is more than a luxury item.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store