Rays on a budget- My (somewhat long) story w/pics

Super Turtleman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
My condolences Mike. Hope everything is still going ok with your operation.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
This is one of the best threads I've read on here. Thanks for posting the good AND the bad experiences (many of us don't like to share our errors). Really sorry to hear about your mom.

Best of luck.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
I'm still here folks. I'll be getting things updated soon. For now, suffice it to say that I have been, and am still going through, some trying times. Starting with the loss of my mother and continuing into the summer with a knee injury that kept me off my feet for several months, I have been going through some difficult issues. Right now, i'm getting back on top of things a little bit at a time, and slowly making some progress. There is a lot that plays into what I've been going through...more than just mom...I had a Doc take me off a med 6 months ago, then move his practice, and I have yet to be "re-diagnosed" with whatever it is that drags me down even lower than what I'm already dealing with. Depression will kick your ass...and it's got to be the most difficult enemy that I have ever encountered.

Thanks for following.

Mike

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

tazjack

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
Illinois
Mike!!! I really hope that things will be better for you. Thanks for reaching out to us. We have been wondering about you for quite some time. Let me know if you need anything.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Sent you an Email Vtec. I'd guess you have a pretty quick Honda, lol? Totally into fast cars around this household.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Been continuing to get things back in shape and doing well here. Caught up on nutrition, water changes and stuff that get neglected when situations are less than ideal, and It's niice to see the rays swimming off the bottom and being happy again. It's sad to say that I'm down to just 3 now though. I've got 2 of the Marbles left (1m,1f) and I've got Freckles still. Mr Tigger Tigrinus is doing well amongst then also. Although I'm bummed about the whole deal, I can't bring the others back. But I can keep moving forward. It's good in a way though because it presents a more manageable bioload in the Ray system. I've shut down the larger of the ray tanks as well. Mostly to save energy, but also because the last repair didn't bond in a few places and peeled up. If anyone is using the non-voc rubber coatings, keep in mind that it doesn't really bond well as a repair coating. I should have scuffed with a power tool, but mainly I should have re-coated the whole thing equally as thick as the first time. I used a different brand of coating too. It was a lot thinner, and I didn't like that. I think I just got a not though that they've released a 3rd "thickness". When I had ordered it, they only had the thin stuff and a really think repair type stuff that you spread on with a trowel.

Not sure what I'm going to do with that 11' x 5' space quite yet. I might convert it for tilapia, or might just pull it out and use the space for something else.

I also still have 9 nice Mono Pbass left + 1 blind and stressed out on that is grey and blind in both eyes likely from cowering back behind the heater. Poor thing...anyone want a free "special needs" fish? I should probably do the right thing and toss him in some icewater and be done with it. He can't compete for food well..probably can't see it.

Take care, I'm plugging along!

Mike

Reactions: Matteus

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Keep it up,Man!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com