koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Hi all,

I'm going to be trading a friend for a smaller tank soon and would like some stocking suggestions and such. I'll be trading one of my 60 gallons for a 45 gallon. The tank residents are two silver dollars and a red zebra cichlid. I already know the silvers need to go and mbunas aren't the nicest of fish. The zebra needs to stay as per agreement.

The tank doesn't have a long footprint so I'm guessing other not so big cichlids from the same area would be out of the question even with over filtration and zealous husbandry. Right? If that is the case, is there any other suitable tankmates? Maybe some kind of hardy mid to top level schooling fish? Any input is appreciated.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What are the dimensions of the 45G tank?

The usual suggestions for the red Zebra is a 48" tank if you want multiple of the same species.

Reactions: tlindsey

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I would be hesitant putting most of the fish on the above list in a tank that size. The bumble bee and demansoni can be ultra agressive and need a bigger footprint.
I generally look at tanks under 48 inches as being meant for tangs more so than mbuna. Some julies would work.

Reactions: deeda

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I would only try a single species in a 36" tank, usually the more peaceful types like labs or saulosi. Since you have to keep the zebra, you could try a breeding group with a male and multiple females, but their aggression may be too much for the small tank. I really don't think more than one male would coexist in a 36" tank.

Definitely avoid just throwing a large mix of species in.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
add other mbuna maybe 5-6
Maingano
Kenyi
bumblebee
Demansoni
bushy nose plecos
a few convict cichlids
Make sure to have balance of male and females
Horrible advice. As others have stated this tank is too small for any of the larger and/or more aggressive species of mbuna. Personally I wouldn't make the trade if it is based on the condition that you have to take the red zebra.

Reactions: deeda and james99

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Horrible advice. As others have stated this tank is too small for any of the larger and/or more aggressive species of mbuna. Personally I wouldn't make the trade if it is based on the condition that you have to take the red zebra.
with a lot of filtration its fine and with lots of rocks Imo need to balance out aggression if u dont they up killing each other in my experiences and most of those species stay under 6inches

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yes but generally you need more than 5-6 individuals, and I don't think the tank is large enough to house enough cichlids for it to work well. If I were going to try it in this tank I would do more individuals of a single species. But being that the zebra is an established adult it might just beat the crap out of anything you drop in.
I had a 30 gallon with mixed africans years and years ago. Had lots of aggression issues, even with lots of rockwork. Ended up giving up on that idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store