dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
what's your normal water change schedule,
When you said you purged the filters, what do you actually mean?

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
This isn't exactly correct. There are too many variables that affect how well a filter actually works. No reviewer is going to be able to exactly replicate your setup, stock, feeding and maintenance schedules, and water conditions. All of these things can dramatically affect what a filter does for you. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Pic for happies.

View attachment 1233429
I agree, no two tanks are alike and I get that. I try to stick to the basics with all variables, and go off of what I see successful tank owners doing all around, wherever or from whom ever I can get info from. Which is exactly why I joined the forum,, for input on my stuff. Clearly there's always something new to learn. And I love those angels! Both have crazy colors.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
what's your normal water change schedule,
When you said you purged the filters, what do you actually mean?
Normal water change is 20-30% a week. And what I meant by that was the filter needed to be filled before I turned it back on after a water change.(I turned filter off during this one big change because the intake was above the level of water I took out) and I literally pointed the hose into my filter, thus causing the disruption to my bio media cartridges.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
If you poured untreated tap water into you filter media the chlorine will most likely have killed the majority of your bb and crashed the cycle.
If this is the case do 20/30% daily waterchanges until the tank cycles again. Your going to need a test kit.

Reactions: Mbielek

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
If you poured untreated tap water into you filter media the chlorine will most likely have killed the majority of your bb and crashed the cycle.
If this is the case do 20/30% daily waterchanges until the tank cycles again. Your going to need a test kit.
Will do, I was afraid of this occurrence. Although I don't believe my water has chlorine, its regular well water softened by a whole house salt system. I will continue with daily changes. And I'm getting a test kit tomorrow, guaranteed.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
could be nitrate creep, 20-30% generally isn't enough. I do at least 50% a week on all my tanks, regardless of stock. And up to 70% on my big tank and I'm not getting issues with algae.

UV sterilisers could also help you

Reactions: Mbielek

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
We've conversed on a different thread about this issue, so here things to fill in the gap:
1. OP is on well water, so no chlorine/chloramine
2. Fish were moved from 30gal to 75gal with inadequate bb from original tank....so, probably new tank syndrome.
3. He's been treating tank with Melafix, chemical clarifier and bottled bacteria.

OP we've discussed in length about your issue and I gave you my recommendation. I still strongly believe that you have a bacterial bloom and not an algae bloom. With all the unnecessary chemicals you've added to the tank, you've brewed yourself a decent chemical cocktail. You need to stop adding all this crap, including the Stress Coat, and start purging that nasty water. 20%-30% daily w/c, while may work, it will take too long. 50% every other day will make a significant impact without altering the chemistry too much that will affect your fish.

I know there's a lot of information and opinions for you to make sense of right now, but if you hang out here long enough, you'll be able to put together what will work best for you. Experience only comes with time and learning from mistakes made. Good luck

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
OP, assuming you got the test kit - what readings did you end up with?

Can't agree with xraycer enough...hold on the chemical unless you know what your dealing with. Especially the clarifier and melafix.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
OP, assuming you got the test kit - what readings did you end up with?

Can't agree with xraycer enough...hold on the chemical unless you know what your dealing with. Especially the clarifier and melafix.
Finally got a test kit. Nitrates are zero, no chlorine, ph is between 7.8-8.4 and "total alkalinity" is around 180

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nitrate should never be 0, whats ammonia/nitrite?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store