Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Ooh, breeding Trimacs sounds interesting. They are starting off young. I'll bet they will look sweet in breeding colors. Sounds like you're doing a good job at juggling them around a little to find the "right one". I know originally you wanted one bruiser. Looks like you're going to let them do their thing and breed. Nice! GL

Reactions: Bbuckley

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
A little update. The pair seem to be doing well but not quite ready to breed. The dominant male has a nicer looking elongated body and great markings. The female spots more red around the throat. Both appear to have the teardrop markings too.

With a 65b open, I pulled the smallest trimac out that had the best markings and teardrops, and gave him a solo tank. It was getting hammered by the pair and the other two larger fish in the 90. It has a lot of healing to do with badly torn fins and body looking rough.

I am still working on a divider for the 90. These guys are just so brutal with each other they all need a reprieve.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The 'pair' are terrorizing the tank, lol. The other two trimac are getting forced up into the upper corners of the tank. I feel as if I were to remove them there is a possibility that there would be trouble in paradise and that the dominant male might hurt/kill the female. He flips pretty quickly when things change. I noticed when I removed the smallest trimac, he started to 'rethink' the pecking order and aggression and actually went after the female for a bit. I threw food into the tank and that messed with his mojo and he ate instead. Now that he is used to the current situation he seems fine again and swims around with the female a lot. Im close to setting up a divider and moving out the rest of the trimac but fear leaving just the pair to themselves right now. Dont know if that would encourage aggression or induce spawning. Might need to get a couple target fish like convicts or something.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
It sucks for the target fish, aKA the other Trmacs but it makes for a stronger pair bond to have them in there. More hiding places so that each target fish has about 3 places that he can hide. and they’re going to end up in the upper corners of the far end of the tank about 50 percent of the time and be being chased and bitten the other half the time.

but that pair will develope a good bond and be way less likely to work each other over. Good luck, hang in there!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
It sucks for the target fish, aKA the other Trmacs but it makes for a stronger pair bond to have them in there. More hiding places so that each target fish has about 3 places that he can hide. and they’re going to end up in the upper corners of the far end of the tank about 50 percent of the time and be being chased and bitten the other half the time.

but that pair will develope a good bond and be way less likely to work each other over. Good luck, hang in there!
But why did the target fish have to be $20 F1 trimacs, lol.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
But why did the target fish have to be $20 F1 trimacs, lol.
Hahaha- you can probably pull the trimacs and throw in some convicts- but pulling fish and replacing fish messes with balance of power in the tank a little bit like you saw and can prolong or disrupt the the courtship to a degree or another. Just weigh your options. With only 1 female I’d be cautious about messing with things until they raised some free swimming fry, then I would make My adjustments. The $20 trimacs are just rehomes anyway and your Fry will more than cover a loss of one or two.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I am having a hard time seeing, but there may just be a batch of eggs. They look to have laid them in a hollow on the large Mopani log. I could not really see it well since blue lights were on and its facing away from me. Was hoping to have a little more time to ‘baby proof’ the tank. Was going to add foam covers over the Aquaclear intakes. Will check on them tomorrow during the day and see what I can see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store