DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Awesome. Can’t wait for the next update. May as well get that foam it sounds like you’ll be dealing with swimmers in a week

That female looks so cool. Almost like an austalheros
Welp... no eggs

Looked in the tank this morning and no eggs. So either the BN pleco got to them at night or what I saw in the blue moon light was reflection of some sand in that hollow of the Mopani. At least this gives me time to put on the sponge intakes on the aquaclear to protect from fry getting sucked in.

Ive got two of the ATI Filter Max III, Pre-Filter sitting around so I will install them. The ones that look like this:
IMG_20200619_171418959.jpg

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Trimac updates:

The largest one that got moved first due to hurting itself from possibly getting stuck under decor has been in a 65B with a small L001 pleco. It seems to be doing quite well with all it scrapes and tears in fins looking healed up. It spooks a bit but overall seems pretty comfortable being a solo fish. Likely the fact that it has a cave to retreat to is the difference. The tank was supposed get my female RTM but works for this guy for now.
IMG_20210313_100040709.jpg

The second trimac to get its own tank was the smallest one with the awesome pattern. I had my other 65B open up due to the puffer passing so I moved that one in. This one not doing well at all. Well physically seems to be healing up since its not being picked on but mentally its off. It very dark and hiding in the upper areas of the tank, like right under the output of the Aquaclear filter. I had all the original decor in that tank but the thing was hiding in one of the wood pieces in a way that worried me so I removed it. This guy needs some dither/target fish to help it relax. Not bold at all. Its in this tank (Minus the puffer)
IMG_20210324_193705853.jpg

The 90 gallon currently has the pair that seems pretty well bonded but at times if anything changes, like me removing a fish, doing a water change, or toward evening with the blue night light on, the male kind of 'snaps'. He will go after his female like she is one of the other two trimacs in the tank. All seems fine during the day however. Its funny but the other two target/dither trimacs are doing pretty well just sitting up in the corners of the tank afraid to come down, unless it feeding time. Then one of the trimac is especially a quick eater and gets to food right away.

Ive been busy with work and outside in the yard right now so I have not set up the divided tank yet but I fear for the female if she is solo with the male. He just turns when the situation in the tank changes. Not seeing any eggs yet from these two but they sure are cute swimming together and of course they look awesome in their breeding dress.

Thats it for the updates for now.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
That first scape is really eye catching. To me anyway. Really does a lot with a little kind of feel.
Thanks, the mopani wood kind of had this natural 'cave' to it so with a little drill and Dremel action I opened it up for a nice semi natural pass through. I have found the real trick to aquascape is to get proper sized decor. Large pieces of wood have a huge impact compared to little twigs but also heavy on the wallet, lol. Thankfully I have a store nearby that sells the "Jumbo" ZooMed Mopani pieces for $39 instead of the $79 prices I see elsewhere.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
For sure man. Having decor that looks real by being the right size is what it takes. All the “miniature” stuff that makes up the staple aquarium decor makes everything look like a funhouse- total BS. I want to feel like I’m snorkeling when the lights in the room are off

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Nice aquascape DMD. I really like the look of the wood in your aquarium. It makes the tank look so natural. I wish I could find some in my area. Nice setup. Sounds like the Trimacs are acting up a bit. GL getting them situated.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So today's picture update are the two "target"/"dither" trimac... such potential in them but not showing it being the sub-dominant males
IMG_20210424_092816789_HDR.jpg
This is a pic of the two with the female below them
IMG_20210424_092535454_HDR.jpg
These three are pretty calm and fairly open to pictures, the dominant male a bit of a nervous one when the phone comes out for pics. Still trying to get even a mediocre pic of him.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
It gets mentioned plenty- its Easiest in a dark room and a lit tank. Obviously that handles the glare but most importantly it helps the fish forget the room outside the tank and just be fish. But the moment is the moment and that’s not how it works out a lot of the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store