RTC setup

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Hi guys,

I would like to keep a redtail catfish. I have two options with this - my plan right now is a 12' intex pool, RTC, TSN, 3 silver aros, and then a few filler fish (4 oscars, 4 plecos, 3 silver dollars, 2 jags). Would this stocking list work? Can pbass and stingrays be successfully thrown into the mix? Thanks!

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Be prepared for holes in the intex pool.....not saying it's gonna happen but It easily can be an issue......where are u located?....this can be a pain to heat

I would get rid of the plecos. ...and do more then 3 silver dollars......this whole intex idea might sound awesome due to cheap cost....trust me I've been there....honestly it's not worth it too many cons....Ull thank me later

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Be prepared for holes in the intex pool.....not saying it's gonna happen but It easily can be an issue......where are u located?....this can be a pain to heat

I would get rid of the plecos. ...and do more then 3 silver dollars......this whole intex idea might sound awesome due to cheap cost....trust me I've been there....honestly it's not worth it too many cons....Ull thank me later
What cons are there? I could throw down a 30 or 45 mil pond liner, no issues with that. I'm not super worried about heating, I'm in the far southern part of NC and it rarely gets cold here. And when it does, it's never below 40 and it's never for very long, sometimes only a few hours.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
No, and everything will get eaten. Holes in the pool would be primary concern, overall size of pool secondary concern imo

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
No, and everything will get eaten. Holes in the pool would be primary concern, overall size of pool secondary concern imo
The size of the pool is a problem? I figured a RTC and TSN would have enough space in a 115 sq.ft pool. Well, along with a few aros.
Holes in the pool can be solved by a pond liner, forgot to mention I'll be using one. So the RTC can and will eat a large aro?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Sounds like you want it to be outside.

NC does not have the proper climate to keep these fish healthy. Low 70s is the absolute minimum

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The size of the pool is a problem? I figured a RTC and TSN would have enough space in a 115 sq.ft pool. Well, along with a few aros.
Holes in the pool can be solved by a pond liner, forgot to mention I'll be using one. So the RTC can and will eat a large aro?
what filtration are you planning on running?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I can move it into the garage for winter, no problem there. Filtration plans are likely a bunch of 5 gallon buckets turned into canister filters. Or a large waterfall pond filter, not sure yet. Something very big though.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I wouldn't move it.....set it in one spot....it would be a pain to move.....look into a couple big pumps.....laguna max flos would be nice.....whatever u do don't go cheap on the filteration Ull need it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store