NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Is it safe to transfer a goldfish and pleco tank to tank (no buckets, bags, or drips), if test numbers are identical and temperature are within a single
Degree of each other?

Zero transfer of old water, fully cycled @4weeks
api test kit used
2analog thermometers and Braun thermometer set to water surface temp read (can be used/sold primarily to check humans for fever but had water and land surface settings)
only transferring one fish at a time so we can’t take all that old water

If Not safe:
How do I keep the goldfish safe as has had frequent chronic problems & seems very sensitive to dissolved oxygen levels -bound to be rock bottom in anrubbermaid EVEN WITH an air stone?
How do I do a slow drip method without taking much of the ‘old’ water? (How much to start Witt, how much to end with?
Best way to pickup &avoid hurting a pleco? He sticks to his cave so if we go tank to tank we can just pick the whole cave up and move it. Once in the bucket though he will let go and need to be picked up..,

If the repost/rephrase of this question violates any rules

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Forgive my spelling/grammar I use accessibility software/microphone for most posts.

I’ll add that as mentioned it’s a rephrase w/the meat of the issue, most who told me not to worry about it said take the old water. Which I can’t do because of the fish still in the old tank.
Others said transferring water/exchange won’t do anything/no point. But shouldnt that have the same affect as slow drip?

At this point the ppl who help me just want to walk the fish from one tank to the other and are kind of done with the whole debate. Bottom line is it safe?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I understand you are concerned with moving the goldfish and Pleco to their new tank but it would really be helpful if you can keep similar posts in just one topic because not everyone is reading all your posts and don't have the same info.

IF your ammonia and nitrite are zero and the nitrate and pH is the same on both tanks, just transfer the fish from the old tank to the new tank directly. You already said the temperature is within a couple degrees of each other for both tanks so as long as the above test results are OK, just move the fish over.

Drip acclimating is generally used when the water parameters are different or when buying fish and you don't know the previous tanks water parameters.

In my home, all my tanks have the same water parameters and the same or similar water temperature so I just net or scoop the fish up in a container and directly transfer to a different tank. No dripping new water, no dripping old water.

Reactions: Oscar Mike

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I understand you are concerned with moving the goldfish and Pleco to their new tank but it would really be helpful if you can keep similar posts in just one topic because not everyone is reading all your posts and don't have the same info.

IF your ammonia and nitrite are zero and the nitrate and pH is the same on both tanks, just transfer the fish from the old tank to the new tank directly. You already said the temperature is within a couple degrees of each other for both tanks so as long as the above test results are OK, just move the fish over.

Drip acclimating is generally used when the water parameters are different or when buying fish and you don't know the previous tanks water parameters.

In my home, all my tanks have the same water parameters and the same or similar water temperature so I just net or scoop the fish up in a container and directly transfer to a different tank. No dripping new water, no dripping old water.

Thanks! Put up the new post because I think I had some ppl get hung up on one thing or another and didn’t get the answer to the actual question out. I also realize that some of us (myself included) look for unanswered threads to try to help others and with the long list of responses on my previous posts it appeared asked & answered

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018

Just one more thought- I’m assuming you’re loving your fish as much as we are. Have you ever lost fish this way?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I've never lost a fish a fish using the above method. I keep mostly Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids though I also have various Tetra species.

Reactions: NilusFishFamily

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I've never lost a fish a fish using the above method. I keep mostly Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids though I also have various Tetra species.

Is he ok???
Worried

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Is he ok???
Worried
Been replied to.