Saltwater

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I totally agree with the advice Gourami Swami Gourami Swami is giving I also have experienced what he has said about a reef setup. Before some of you were born it was far more difficult to keep a reef going do to lack of information there was no Google or YouTube to go to. The only resource was magazine's and book's. I've lost expensive fish and invertebrates during that time. My lighting was metal halide which made the room a seem like the sun was in it lol. Nobody wants you to fail that's all it comes down to it. Please research reef forums and youtube like suggested.:)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I totally agree with the advice Gourami Swami Gourami Swami is giving I also have experienced what he has said about a reef setup. Before some of you were born it was far more difficult to keep a reef going do to lack of information there was no Google or YouTube to go to. The only resource was magazine's and book's. I've lost expensive fish and invertebrates during that time. My lighting was metal halide which made the room a seem like the sun was in it lol. Nobody wants you to fail that's all it comes down to it. Please research reef forums and youtube like suggested.:)
I remember those lights, man those were hot lmao. And if you looked into the bulb, forget about seeing anything for the next few hours haha. Thank god for LEDs

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would stick with live rock, a banded serpent star (easier than most starfish).

Clownfish actually will host in some corals, such as frogspawn coral.

Corals are a bit more delicate, remember to do research on the ones you like, find what they like to eat, temps they like, calcium dosing, flowrates and such, good beginner corals include mushroom corals (which are hardy fast spreading critters) and many of the leather corals.

I would avoid shrimp till your more experienced , but how about getting some "reef safe" hermits plus spare shells for them, keep in mind they often kill snails.

As far as clownfish go I would start with a percula clown.

Good starter saltwater fish: most damsels, golden cardinalfish,hawkfish,snowflake moray (make sure he can't jump out!) and many of the "nano" or dwarf wrasse types.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Gourami swami, when I had said that it was a scam I had larger tanks in mind. If you’re doing a small tank then the premade saltwater is good but it’s not efficient for larger tanks wouldn’t you agree?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gourami swami, when I had said that it was a scam I had larger tanks in mind. If you’re doing a small tank then the premade saltwater is good but it’s not effiacient for larger tanks wouldn’t you agree?
Yeah I would agree that mixing your own saltwater is usually much more cost efficient than the water the LFS sells.

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Lot of water to mix, anytime you need to do an emergency water change because some parameter is off you need to do so in a giant trashcan-style bin, are my reasons for saying that. The extra volume will dilute everything yes and large tanks can be easier to keep stable. But in terms of doing the maintenance, seems to me like over a 75 gallon for the first SW tank would be a bit ambitious to me.
Not to say it can't be done or would be TOO difficult, this is just my perspective. Plus he has said a few times he is on a budget, and equipment for a 180 will be very pricey. Unless he goes with all used equipment, which would make me uneasy for the reason I stated.
Why would you not love a smaller tank? Anything under 180 you won't take care of? Don't quite understand that part. By all means get the 180 if you are that determined, just giving my opinion :)
That makes sense, didnt think of how much water would need to be mixed

Reactions: tlindsey

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
well i found a 36 that i am highly considering. AND my boss litteraly just texted me like 20 seconds ago (REASON i got on right now lol) that he is giving me a raise... so i might be able to do salt tank. i will see if i can talk parents into the 180 if not i will probably get a 36 or maybe 29 cause i talked to guy at lfs and he said i should practice with smaller tank first...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I find that funny.
Anyway, you could just get the 180 and not set it up or take it down. It may not be very satisfying to you currently but it will be good to you down the road.

Reactions: Davidiator

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I loved my coral and my fish but the maintenance killed me. And honestly I did a 300 gallon wc about every two weeks. My trates were around 15ppm. I had a calcium reactor, biopellet reactor, huge skimmer, 80g ish refugium. I had to clean the glass on 4 display tanks pretty much daily if I didnt itd get covered in coraline algae pdq. Tested parameters cal,alk mag, everyother day. My reefkeeper would watch temp ph and orp and controlled the lights. I had to feed daily corals fish baby fish too much. I'm actually glad its gone it was a bit crazy. But I miss it too.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
How big was your tank if you were doing 300 gallon water changes?

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store